• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Platinum EL Rev1 Vs Rev2 ... Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

OK heres the situation, I ordered some REV1 to go with my new build, opty, ultrad, sata2, the good stuff. I heard it wont push 225-230 MHZ and I will most likely have to run a divider. I think I could RMA it but I would have to pay the shipping, after that I would have to paid 40 more dollars to get the same amount of Rev2 (which seems to OC much better and has TCCD chips)

My question is, Do you think its worth going through all this, how much will my 3dmark05 score change from having the Rev1 on a divider or the Rev2 at 1:1???

I dont exactly have the money to do this right now but if its a serious difference I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=325

The author of this article believes that you'll be just fine.

Keep in mind that this comparison is limited to just a few variations and concentrates on the impact on gaming. Different apps might yield different results.

In addition, the quality ram at 1:1 did yield better results...just not by wide margins.

The A64 platform utilizes the dividers very well and takes away some of the need for high-end ram in order to get good performance.

If your funds are somewhat limited right now, then you might just want to stay with what you've got and see just how it works for you. You could always upgrade the ram at a later date if you feel it is seriously holding you back.

Yes, the TCCD is better in the rev2, but in terms of performance it won't make a big difference. Also, with some extra voltage the rev1 may OC higher than 230MHz. I can tell you from my experience with TCCD that there is little difference between the higher speeds and looser timings versus the lower speeds and tigjhter timings, so I say you'll be fine with the rev1.

Hi Reefa! Great minds stink alike.:D

I just found out that I can edit my order since it hasnt shipped yet, should I just go for the TCCD? It only comes to a 40 dollar difference.

Nevalite said:
I just found out that I can edit my order since it hasnt shipped yet, should I just go for the TCCD? It only comes to a 40 dollar difference.

by you saying "only" for $40, then go for it. If $40 is nothing to you, than why not.

i dont know if that it came out wrong or w/e but please dont misinterperate it. I am just saying, $40 to some people is a lot, to others it isn't. Some people don't mind paying the extra couple bucks to get that extra guarenteed performance and others take the risk and would rather save the money and hope for good performance. so yeah.

So the Rev2 will overclock much better than the rev1? Is it worth 40 dollars to change it? I need a straight answer

I'm Running Rev1 And My FSB Is @ 227. Buying A 2nd Stick To Dual Channel! Works Great Here! So... My "Stright" Answer Would Be Save The 40buxs For Somethin Else...

I'll Try To Go To 270 On My System And Let You Know, K?

270 * 15 = 4.05Ghz .... Hummmm Now You Got Me Thinking :)
Will Post Back On Results!

Back