• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does higher settings = lower life expectancy ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

Id like to know what settings, when raised could potentially decrease the healthy life expectancy of your LCD, even a little bit

my monitor has 3 settings for color temperature
user = whatever I set of course

I can easily tell that user setting looks best on my desktop environment, but I just discovered I like 9300 in battlefield 1942, but it sounds high to me

is there any possibility that keeping such a high setting could decrease my LCDs healthy life ?

I guess Id like to ask the same question for contrast and brightness (wich I prefer to keep very low anyway)

well the brighter that stuff the more likely it is to go bad....but that's kinda like OCing a processor...Yeah it's gonna decrease it's life, but who cares when it's life is probably over a decade and your decreasing it by a month or something?

ok, I know Im going off of my own topic here, but Its probably not worth cluttering up the forum with a separate topic for every question I have, so Ill just throw it in here in the hope that someone will pick up on it and give me a couple tips

Iv been fiddlin around with dual monitors now, my 19 inch LCD and my old 17" (16 screen )

and I cant figure out how to get them to run as " clone" each with thier own refresh rate and resolution

now dont read that wrong, I have no problem setting them to clone with my Geforce 5500 settings, but when in clone mode, Im forced to run them both at the same refresh rate and resolution, wich means either one or the other will have to look fuzzy

or is clone mode only designed with 2 of the same monitor :shrug:

seems I should be able to have 2 separate, its not a problem with any of the other modes, such as dual mode

would be nice to be able to calibrate them both separately as well :-/ , I wonder if I can do that, because since Iv calibrated my LCD with the Nvidia Display optimization wizard, the CRT looks kinda messed up

adjrettke

that would be a very reasonable trade off :) , but how long does a person expect an LCD monitor to last ? and how durable are they to the stresses of their own limits ?

guess Ill need to ask someone whos owned alot of LCDs over a long period of time

would you suspect that increaseing color temperature would be along the same lines as increaseing contrast? ... and brightness I suppose is probably just the backlight, or am I wrong?

I think this question cannot be answered without some deep knowledge how these things work. One cannot just come up with analogies with eg. overclocking and judge based on that.

Well, I don't claim or any deep understanding of LCD's. I can tell you that color temperature has nothing to do with actual temperatures, but is just a measure for the effect of different light on color rendition. If you have ever taken a photo with actual; film, not digital, and used indoor film outdoors you would see that everything is blue in color. This is because the natural sunlight has a different color temperature than indoor incandescent lighting. My guess would be that I don't think that this kind of color setting would have much impact on the life of the LCD.

Not thread hijack, Motherboard1, but I have another question about life expectancy. Is it better to use the power saving Windows feature and turn your monitor off when idle or does turning on and off create more wear than just leaving it on?

rseven, not sure, it depends on the thermal expansion and contraction of the LCD crystals, that's where turning on and off can be back, but LCD crystals don't get very hot, so I don't think it matters.
As for how long do LCD's last? Pretty long if you think about it...I mean LCD's have been around a long time, just not in the form of computer monitors. I'd only be guessing as to the length, but I'm sure it will outlast your taste and budget.

As for the clone...it does just that, clones each monitor. I don't know why you'd use clone really. extended desktop allows you to have more desktopspace and you can adjust resolutions and refresh rate (but refresh rate doesn't matter for LCD's).

I want to use clone for comparison, see the same game on 2 screens and see wich ways they differ

well just use the native res of the LCD, the CRT won't be a perfect image (because it's a 4:3 width to height where the LCD is 5:4 but it'll be close.

i don't think upping the color temperature, resolution or refresh rate will shorten your LCD's lifespan and if so then maybe by a month maximum. the screen was built to match its highest specifications, its like running your CPU at 50% or 100% 24/7. it was built to be able do its best throughout its whole expected lifespan.

but doesnt an underclocked processor last longer than one running at stock speeds ?

wouldnt the same logic apply to just about any other hardware

its not a question of will it last as long as it "should" but will the settings prevent it from lasting "longer"

Back