• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from 2000 > XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iaacp

Hey,

my friend wants to install XP, but he currently has 2000. By installing XP, will he lose all of his stuff that he has installed? Or will it all remain the same? Will he have to uninstall 2000 before installing XP? Thanks ahead of time

Your best option is to save your data onto separate disk(s) and do a clean install (format drive and install) of XP. This will, of course, erase everything on the disk, hence the requrement to save files first.

"Upgrading" is usually fraught with errors and is not recommended.

Oroka Sempai said:
lol, I am doing the very exact same thing at this very moment... I was just wondering if there is a win2k equlivent of msconfig.

you can run msconfig on win2k, just copy msconfig.exe from another windows and the help file if you want.

benbaked said:
you can run msconfig on win2k, just copy msconfig.exe from another windows and the help file if you want.

ahhhh.... I just typed msconfig like you would in XP. Thanks.

The computer I am working on is a friends, and that is what I am doing. I am backing up all his files, and going to do a fresh install of XP.

Should be able to do an upgrade to XP fairly seamlessly, but sometimes problems arise. Its best to prepare for a full install when you upgrade.

Depending on how big the hd is and how much space W2k takes up, another option would be to consider a dual boot. Squeeze the W2k partition down and leave the rest for XP.

I don't really consider XP an upgrade to 2K myself. :p

I think the upgrade fears are a little overblown...I think thats more of a throwback to the abysmal 9x days when windows was fickle and hosed itself if you looked at it wrong.

I think an upgrade would be just fine, since the 2 OS's are so similar. Just to be safe, I'd make sure anything important you need, pictures, documents, music, etc. was backed up before you attempted an upgrade. In fact, that's good practice for anything of this nature. When you get into XP, make sure all your drivers are installed correctly, then I'd do a system state backup.

If in XP Pro, type "ntbackup" at the run prompt. Tell it to only backup your "System State" data. After that's finished and you've backed it up somewhere you can restore it from, update your XP install. After that, backup again. If this all goes flawlessly, then you should be fine. If you have any problems, post here :).

Windows xp and windows 2000 are really the same anyways...

Windows 2000 and windows xp home & pro all offer the same kernel

Windows xp pro has slightly more functionality (for networking and business) over both 2k and home; however, 2k has more functionality for networking and business over xp home. For the most part, windows XP home is almost like windows 2000 made cheaper, with some parts of it which are critical to business use removed, while windows xp pro has additional features to windows 2000. If you need more business and networking capabilities than winxp pro you want windows server junk.

I wouldn't say windows xp home is a downgrade though, windows 2000 may offer more for businesses but xp home offers more for the home user.

Last edited:
Back