• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast 2GB Kits Review at Anand.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAdso

Registered
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2676&p=1

I am trying to decide on a 2GB kit myself right now, so this article was most welcome, though I'm not sure this has made my decision any easier.

The Ballistix looks pretty good, but when I checked it out on newegg, like every other buyers review was talking about dead and failing sticks, RMA's and RAM horror stories.

So I'm definately up in the air. I have a 144 Opteron so I was thinking (correctly or incorrectly?) that I kind of need a pair of decently overclocking sticks to get a good OC on the CPU to help make up for only having the x9 multiplier. I've seen people around the forums saying that running a divider is not a big deal, but haven't really been able to find that statement confirmed and written in big letters anywhere. Seems like most folks still think running 1:1 is the way to go. So I am still waffling the choice between tight timings and high speeds in my RAM selection.

Any thoughts?

- Mike

ps - I am using a DFI n4 Ultra-D, Seasonic s-12 600w, and a Opteron 144 (CAB2E 0546) in a Thermaltake Tsunami case.

Last edited:
first of all, :welcome: to the forums!

secondly, with 2gigs, its gonna be a big difference reguardless of ramspeed. you dont need to run 1:1, as everything is much smoother with 2gigs. you really dont need to worry about ram speed when you have 2gigs. its one of those things.

Also, about ram choices, my vote goes out to G.Skill p4000 3-4-4-8 stuff...Samsung has been having AWESOME yeilds with UCCC, and ive even seen it hit ddr600 3-4-4 spi32m stable.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
first of all, :welcome: to the forums!

Thanks! I've been trolling a long time and learned quite a bit, hopefully I'l be able to put it to use with this new build, I have my fingers crossed about this Opty.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
secondly, with 2gigs, its gonna be a big difference reguardless of ramspeed. you dont need to run 1:1, as everything is much smoother with 2gigs. you really dont need to worry about ram speed when you have 2gigs. its one of those things.

Also, about ram choices, my vote goes out to G.Skill p4000 3-4-4-8 stuff...Samsung has been having AWESOME yeilds with UCCC, and ive even seen it hit ddr600 3-4-4 spi32m stable.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Makes me feel much better in general about running 2GB. Yeah I have been looking at those G.Skills everyone seems to be talking about; they are at the top of a short list.

I am a little confused though... it seems that if running a divider doesn't impact performance, wouldn't the best way be to just go for the tightest timings possible? I have read a lot about this lately, and I guess maybe there is just no definitive answer to this? You just have to test over and over and find the best combination of timings and speed?

SteveOCZ said:
I just did my system up with 4GB's...ohh so sweet

4GB's... that's crazytalk! Does your HD ever need to spin? I'm moving from 512MB to 2GB which feels like it is going to be night and day. Can't imagine 4GB.

Thanks for the responses guys!

- Mike

I like my ZX Gskills but the ram I've been most impressed with is my friends XMS DDR433 stuff. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145594

He can get that stuff running at 1 to 1.5 CAS latency at DDR400 speeds.

It also overclocks well mhz wise also when he goes the other way(looser timings, higher clock speeds). around 240 @ 2-2.5CAS.

Seems to be the most well rounded ram IMO but it comes at a price.

O and running a divider is no biggy on AMD's.

TheAdso said:
Thanks! I've been trolling a long time

i think the term to use here is lurking :)

trolling is like always flaming people.

and to stay on topic, I bought ocz gold pc4000 and so should you. :p

TheAdso said:
Thanks! I've been trolling a long time and learned quite a bit, hopefully I'l be able to put it to use with this new build, I have my fingers crossed about this Opty.

you have a nice stepping, CAB2Es do very good, as they are FX57 mem controllers. they about the best besides 0530 CABNEs, because they were the first and best opterons, and CABHEs because they lack coldbug.

TheAdso said:
Oh ok, that makes sense. Makes me feel much better in general about running 2GB. Yeah I have been looking at those G.Skills everyone seems to be talking about; they are at the top of a short list.

I am a little confused though... it seems that if running a divider doesn't impact performance, wouldn't the best way be to just go for the tightest timings possible? I have read a lot about this lately, and I guess maybe there is just no definitive answer to this? You just have to test over and over and find the best combination of timings and speed?

well, the Gskill or OCZ or anything UCCC will do really well, as they are basically the same sticks and Samsung has good yeilds. basically, with 2gigs you just wanna get the highest you can with probably 3-4-4 timings. dont worry about going for low speed and low timings as these chips wont do ddr400 2-3-2 or 2-3-3, its just something UCCC wont do. again 2gigs is less needy of tight timings, its pure size power vs speed power.

Back