• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from my AS8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I've been pretty happy with my Abit AS8, but I'm looking at replacing the motherboard/RAM/video here pretty soon, with a CPU upgrade following a while later. I really appreciate price/performance, and I keep hearing that the P5WD2-E, while maybe a little better than the -P, really isn't worth the extra money for most. Is the P5WD2-P still the best option for the majority of users? And how essential is a vdroop mod? I did one on my AS8 and had good results, but I prefer to avoid busting out my soldering iron if I don't have to. Just makes me nervous, I guess. :)

I do have a pretty solid watercooling setup, so that factors into the amount of vcore I can give the CPU. I have a 640 now, but I'll be moving to a 9XX following the motherboard upgrade. Input power should be pretty solid - I have a Seasonic S12 600w and a line conditioner, and I don't plan to put much more than something like an X800GT02 or thereabouts in for a video solution.

So...P5WD2-P for cost-effectiveness? Or is the -E really that much stronger a board?

Back