• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little erratic behavior... Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcadidas13

Registered
I have an Opteron 165. Which, by the way, overclocks well but thats not the point of this message.

Currently I have the HTT at 287 and core speed is 2583 MHz. This is well within the bounds of which it is stable (306 HTT and 2754 Core) or bootable (334 HTT and 3006 Core).

At 287 HTT and 2583 Core, I am experiencing the following behavior:

If I start Call of Duty 2 and start a game (a local server), the game looks very choppy. Standing in a spot against where two fences intersect and looking at the corner of a building, my frame rate oscillates between 81 (sometimes lower) and 89.

If I then minimize Call of Duty 2, and open up Task Manager, and set affinity of Call of Duty 2 to only one core, then return to the game, the game appears MUCH smoother, and on the same map, standing in the same spot, looking at the same thing with the same gun out, yields a framerate that is a steady, constant 84 or 85 frames.

With Counter-Strike Source, if I start a game (a local server), the game is not choppy, however within a few minutes (usually 1 or 2 minutes), the game will freeze the computer for a few seconds, and then lock it up completely when any button is pressed (i.e. Caps Lock does not function).

If I set affinity to only one core, the game does not freeze.

I have done the following:
a.) flash bios to most recent version (motherboard DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D)
b.) install AMD processor drivers
c.) install the Windows XP Hotfix (both manually through the registry AND from an executable posted on the forums)

This is driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Last edited:
Well, did you run two instances of Prime with affinity set per core?
Sounds to me like you might have one stellar core that is able to run just fine at those speeds, but the other core isn't stable. Especially since you are able to run it with affinity set to one core.
From the symptoms you stated, I am guessing that one of your cores will probably fail within the first few minutes of running two instances of prime.

By the way, we have an AMD processor section, and that is where this thread should be posted.

futura2001 said:
Well, did you run two instances of Prime with affinity set per core?
Sounds to me like you might have one stellar core that is able to run just fine at those speeds, but the other core isn't stable. Especially since you are able to run it with affinity set to one core.
From the symptoms you stated, I am guessing that one of your cores will probably fail within the first few minutes of running two instances of prime.

By the way, we have an AMD processor section, and that is where this thread should be posted.
Sorry

Thought about it.

I did run two instances of SP2004, "no affinity" checkbox unchecked, both priority 10 and one on each core, for 14 hours. and with either game it doesnt matter if i put it on CPU0 or CPU1, it runs fine

Back