• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do the 920/940's OC at on "normal" aircooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

i was curious what to expect a 920 or 940 to OC at on regular air cooling. I will probably use the stock fan or maybe something else that is decent & not to loud.

I keep seeing 4ghz + on air but is that really the case? Is my current 3.2 nw such a poor overclocker (4ghz is not possible in my setup).

I would hate to get a dual core & not have a nice oc potential spot.

Thanks,
Rich

Forget the stock cooler. They are total junk. I wouldn't waste the money on one. If you want a good OC, these Intel's will OC to 4.0GHz no problem and they will do it on stock cooling, but they will run on the hot side.

There's no reason to run them that hot though. it'll just limit your OC, and you can order an OEM CPU without the HSF, and buy a much better air cooler. An XP 120 or a Tower 120 will blow the stock cooler away. All the stock cooler will do is make a bunch of noise, heat the CPU up, and limit your OC.

The OC's you are seeing are very real. If you went with good water cooling they will do even better than on air. Cooling is very important. It is the first thing you have to get right before you OC.

Stock coolers are for stock systems, they are not for OC'ing.

Your 3.2 should easily hit 4.0 unless it is getting too hot. Again cooling is very important. Electricity doesn't flow right when things heat up. It increases resistence, and causes instability.

Get you an OEM, and a good cooler with a fan that will move some air, and you will not have to worry about the thing OC'ing. These new 65nm chips are superior to anything out there right now. You can't get a better OC'er.

I had some other thoughts also. Other things that limit OC's are boards that are not capable of delivering the necessary FSB, or have voltage regulation issues. Boards that do not have Intel chipsets are notorious for low clocks. If you run an Intel, run an Intel chipset. Also good boards are made by Asus and Abit. Stick with certain boards they mnaufacture and you'll see high OC's. All bets are off with other brands.

PSU's that are weak also contribute to mnay OC'ing issues. If the PSU cost less than 90 bucks it's gonna cause problems. It takes a strong PSU of at least 30 amps or more to get high OC's. OCZ, Fortron/Sparkle, and PC Power & Cooling make PSU's that deliver what is advertised. Other brands are notorious for rating their stuff higher than it actually will do, and then there are brands like Codegen, Deer, and PowMax that are just plain dangerous, and are considered a fire hazzard.

RAM can also cause low clocks. RAM that will not reach high FSB's will create walls. A good way to tell is to change the divider in the BIOS to 5:4 and loosen timings, and see if you can increase FSB. If you can it's the RAM that is limiting you. There are speciffic RAM IC's that run well, and only certain one's on speciffic boards will do that. Choose RAM carefully. RAM selection is very important.

Every component in an OC'd machine must be carefully selected and matched to get the performance out of it.

can you suggest a decent fan for the 920 or 940 using an Lianli case (65B) and the Asus P5WD2 Premium?

if you get something like a thermalright xp120, you can get a nice low noise 120mm fan, or you could get a screaming loud delta, and put it on a fan controller. that way, when you want to oc the snot outta it and have some fun, you can crank it up, but for day to day oc's you can keep it quiet.

How is the big typhoon with a 920? I ordered a big typhoon and it's coming tomorrow. Hopefully those pipes will dissapate heat well.

That is what I use (XP-120 + LGA775 Kit) on my 930 (PC#1 in sig). Runs 4GHz and loads at 60*C. The 920's should actually OC better than the 930's...

:cool:

isp said:
How is the big typhoon with a 920? I ordered a big typhoon and it's coming tomorrow. Hopefully those pipes will dissapate heat well.

The Big Typhoon is the best aircooler around. It should do a good job on that chip relative to other heatsinks.

deception``

I have run big typhoon and sonic towers on my DC's Cheaper than the xp120 and just as good or better for cooling.

The bases are not finshed very well but i have only lapped 50% of mine.

Installation hardware is not that great.

Sonic tower cools slightly better with 2 fans, but it is large and can have clearance problems,
It is also easier to get on/off in a case vs big typhoon.

Big typhoon is about the same price as sonic tower and includes a quiet, but low speed fan. Impossible to get off without removing the mobo from the case.

Back