• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to boot off a SATA drive but mobo is old and has no SATA plugs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Talifey

I posted about this in July but its been so long I guess my account got deleted from being inactive.

First id like to say I have tried to look around both here and other places to find answers, and I really just cant find anything that is similar enough to my situation to be to helpfull, if anyone can direct me to a thread I may have missed (these forums are big!) id appreciate that to. Otherwise any help would be appreciated!

Back in July I got an OEM 36 gig Raptor drive for my birthday present. The plan was to put windows onto the SATA and my other main programs onto it and turn my 80 gig PATA into storage. Well 6 months later here I am.

The problem is that my MOBO is 5 years old and lacks any SATA. I've tried two different methods:
1. I bought a SATA card which allowed me to use the drive. However no matter how many times I try to install windows onto the SATA and then boot off it it fails. First time I installed windows onto my SATA and tried to boot it showed up in BIO's and let me put it in boot order. Then windows would blue screen every time. This was because I had a recovery disk and not a real version of windows to hit F6. Now ive got a real version of Windows and I redid the isntallation with F6 to install the drivers that came with the SATA card but now it refuses to show up in BIOs. Could this be because I installed the drives for the SATA card but still lack general SATA drivers?
2. Bought a PATA->SATA converter hoping that I could simply tie the SATA in and have it work. But if I put the SATA (with windows installed already) on the main cable it just gives me an error an ask me to hit ctrl alt del.

Since my first attempt I have failed every time to get my SATA to show up in the BIO's. Is there a driver for windows that covers overall SATA that I need?

Some other strange things ive encountered on my journey was last I installed windows, It refused to start the installation at boot. I had to start it from my desktop which was horrible. And during this installation it never once asked me WHERE it wanted to install. Somehow it miraculously put it on my Raptor and not my C: or D:. After I installed this on my SATA it let me chose to boot XP Pro off my SATA or XP Home off my PATA. This is not while the SATA is using the converter sharing cables with the PATA. And if I unplug the PATA it wont boot off the SATA.

In conclusion what I want to do is boot off my SATA, use my PATA as storage. I have a PATA->SATA converter AND a SATA card. Anyone have any insights? My computer is getting extremely sluggish and is begging to be formatted. But I think it would just be stupid to format and use a 10k rpm Raptor as a storage drive so im putting formatting off until I can boot off my raptor.

When Windows Is Booting The Install, Their Is A F Key You Press To Install 3rd Parts SCSI Drivers, Put Your SATA Card Drivers On A Floppy Disk And When It Asks For The Floppy, Browse To The Correct Location On The Floppy Where You Put The Drivers And It Should See The SATA Adapter And Your AWSOME Hard Drive! Post Back If You Get Lost :)

The SATA card really won’t show up in the motherboard BIOS (it’s seen as a mass storage controller). It has it’s own BIOS that should show up after the motherboard posts.
Get back into the motherboard BIOS and set the boot order to CD-ROM first and SCSI as second. Disable the rest.
Disconnect the PATA drive (the power plug will do).
Have a floppy ready with the SATA drivers on it and boot to the XP Pro disk.
Do the “F6” bit at the right time and install the drivers (press “S”).
Windows should find the Raptor and install itself on it.
I have two Raptors in two different machines. One is on a Silicon Image card that’s attached to a five year old SOYO board and the other is on a two year old ASUS board with onboard SATA ports.
XP installs the same on both boards.
Good luck!
:p

Back