• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my 7800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pie-rate

When I tried to OC my evga 78gt co using coolbits, I started getting artifacts in atitool after only 16mhz over stock.
When I attempted to increase my memory clocks, instead of getting artifacts in atitool I ended up just locking up with some weird vertical lines on the screen.

some of the Pre-overclocked 7800's (like your evga) are already pushed pretty close to the limit of the card, it is possible that the card simply will not oc any higher without a volt mod or extreme cooling. (I hope its not the case, but it is possible) I would give it a week to burn in as well, then try again.

If I volt mod it will I need better cooling?
35C/50C seems pretty good for a geforce...

yes i would suggest better cooling but give it another week of playing games alot at stock speeds and then try the oc again. is your enermax psu single or dual rail? how many amps on the rail(s)?

My enermax psu has run dual OCed 6800gts before. I'm pretty sure a single 6800gt uses more power than a single 7800gt.

Stock is 470/1100 I think.

edit: what I'm more interested in than core speeds is why my memory doesn't give artifacts when it starts getting too high?

my pair of of the same cards is having alot of trouble getting stable at any speeds beyond the stock 470/1100 as well. I can successfully run 3dmark06 at 491/1180, but the artifacting is terrible. (great scores though! lol). And if I push either clock past that, the card locks up during the Firefly test in 3dmark06..

so here i am at stock for gaming...swell eh?

question: Please load riva's HW monitor (graphs) and tell me if your Core clock increases at all when you run 3dmark, or is it locked at 468 like mine, regardless of mode? I'm beginning to think that these pre-OC'd cards were a big mistake. I see many others clearing 500/1200 on their stock 7800GT's without any problems... lameness.

the stock speed for a 7800GT is 400/1000 i don't think you are going to get any more.

the real clock speed is 510/1100 of your card. + 40MHZ for the pixel pipes. could be worng?

Blackmage said:
the stock speed for a 7800GT is 400/1000 i don't think you are going to get any more.

the real clock speed is 510/1100 of your card. + 40MHZ for the pixel pipes. could be worng?
he has the N517 7800GT 256mb CO like my pair, so the "stock" clocks are 470/1100 since it was pre-OC'd at the factory.

That said, mine also does NOT appear to give the 40mhz boost in 3d Performance mode... at defaults, with stock BIOS on both cards, Riva shows a flatline 468/1098 mhz no matter what I'm running in 3d!

Be glad that yours does the EVGA OC. Mine idles at 40 C and loads at 70 C. I actually get kicked out of FEAR to the desktop so it can inform me that I have hit 70 C. Recently when I have been playing BF2 it has been just hard booting on me at random; I am not sure what the cause of this is and by recently I mean this began to occur today. I will probably have to drop my clocks to sub stock just to be able to game. The airflow in my case is ridiculously good as well...I just don't understand it. I would install a new heat sink but I have been planning on stepping up to a different card and thus I don't feel like swapping sinks twice over the next 2 months.

personally i am disppointed in trying to overclock this card. but its not evga's fault. they pushed it as far as it would go on the stock volts. if you give it some more volts it will clock alot higher. So its not evga's fault its just pushed as far as it can go on the stock volts thats all

jpersinger said:
Be glad that yours does the EVGA OC. Mine idles at 40 C and loads at 70 C. I actually get kicked out of FEAR to the desktop so it can inform me that I have hit 70 C. Recently when I have been playing BF2 it has been just hard booting on me at random; I am not sure what the cause of this is and by recently I mean this began to occur today. I will probably have to drop my clocks to sub stock just to be able to game. The airflow in my case is ridiculously good as well...I just don't understand it. I would install a new heat sink but I have been planning on stepping up to a different card and thus I don't feel like swapping sinks twice over the next 2 months.
Hmm, a few suggestions:
reseat hsf with AS5 instead of whatever they use
take the backplates off as many of the pci slots below the card as possible
get a pci card cooler thingy and put it below the card
the rebooting sounds like your PSU

I know that I should reseat the GPU with AS5, but I plan on utilizing the trade up program through EVGA in the next 2 months. I am not sure if changing thermal interface material voids warranty, and to be honest for just 2 months I would much rather not give myself the opportunity to damage the exposed core. I have approx. 300 cfm of intake air and approx. 250 cfm of exhaust, although it does seem like I might have some stagnant air at the video card intake section. I had contemplated exactly what you mentioned, and plan on just fabricating a bracket to attach a few 80 mm or 60 mm fans; those pci card coolers move like 10cfm. I figured out the rebooting as well; it was due to an update by EA with the punkbuster software for BF2. Apparently they released an update that is not win2k compatible, but they have already remedied the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the evga 7800gt co edition bought from newegg. the card ran fine at 490/1200 speeds but eventually became unstable and crashed after about 2 hours of use in BF2. Lowered the clocks to 485/1200 and it hasn't crashed since. :) (3 weeks stable) Runs a lot hotter than yours do also, idles at 46c according to the nvidia control panel.

i have the same as palehorse with my xfx, i can clock to 489/1140 max (with using the test button in coolbits), and run 3dmark06, i only get artifacts in deep freeze not in the rest of the tests. Temps are 35ish at idle, up to the low 50's at the max

can i push harder by not testing the settings first? (using another tuner package).

the xfx is pre-overclocked to 450/1100.....which is what i need to run COD2 or the computer reboots.....eek

lee

leelegend said:
i have the same as palehorse with my xfx, i can clock to 489/1140 max (with using the test button in coolbits), and run 3dmark06, i only get artifacts in deep freeze not in the rest of the tests. Temps are 35ish at idle, up to the low 50's at the max

can i push harder by not testing the settings first? (using another tuner package).

the xfx is pre-overclocked to 450/1100.....which is what i need to run COD2 or the computer reboots.....eek

lee

50° under full load? thats either water cooling or you're alt tabing to see your temps.
For real temps set a on screen display and run something like 3dmark06 or rthdribl in full screen mode.
Or wait...do you live in antartica? forgot that possibility :\
But seriously alt tabing can drop your temp by close to 20°c in that less then one second transition so...
Anyways evga says 80°c is where the co is considered to be overheating so no worries :)
Just letting you know so you dont end up overheating like mad and thinking its actually not ;)

Back