• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF for Opteron 165

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
XP-90C with a 92mm Delta would be best, last I check... but my information may be several weeks out of date. I've been rather busy. But, last time I checked, the Scythe Shogun was neck and neck with it, and as fan speed dropped off, the Shogun pulled ahead. The Scythe Ninja is nearly as good, and for a nice price too.

:\ i was debating on what to get..

i went with the xp90c cuz of the size..
i attached a 120mm fan to it.. cuz i like 12cm fans :D it cools slightly worse on my oced cpu but thats okay. the over blow of air cools mosfets and stuff. which is nice. and idling temps are 28C no therm to record ambient temps. although i was wearing a tshirt XD

Well yeah, if noise doesn't matter, the XP-90C might be a good choice because of its pure performance.

I'd still rather have the XP-120 due to a 120mm fan blowing downwards, put on a nice 50db Delta and a fan controller and you'd run great.

Id recommend a XP120, I know you say noise isn't an option .. but it will be after awhile. My Delta / XP120 make a great combo, quiet with plenty of sucking power to spare, for benchies I crank 'er up to 141CFM :D.

On a side note, XP90C is bling bling ... *:drool: all over the copper :drool:*

XP-90C is very good. You can get a Delta TFB1212UHE and use that. It's 142cfm at 62dBA, the best fan available. If you want the best possible CPU cooling performance, and you have case fans that provide sufficient cooling to the motherboard, you can go with a tower style heatsink instead (Scythe Ninja or Thermaltake Sonic Tower), and run two 120mm fans in a push-pull setup. I'd use Delta TFB1212GHEs for those. Those fans are tough to find anywhere now, I have two of them myself waiting to be used whenever I get around to buying a tower heatsink myself.

Noise is not a problem for me either, and when I first got my Vantec Tornado, I figured all of the people complaining about the noise they produce are just hyper-sensitive to that sort of thing. I was in for a rude awakening when I first plugged it in and realized what they were talking about. However, I used it anyway. The 2°C that I get over a "normal" 48cfm 92mm fan is worth the noise, and it's really not that bad at all. Now, whenever my computer is off for some reason (it's in my bedroom and runs 24/7), something feels out of place without the Tornado running.

Well, I'm getting my 165 in today. Have the Ninja and will be using a Yate Loon 120 mm case fan. I'll let you know how the temp and noise level will be as well once I get everything up and running.

I like that Scythe Ninja alot, but i have a concern since its so tall is there alot of strain on the MB and the CPU from it pulling down?

Well, it is tall but not very heavy (compared to say the XP-120 or others). It's bottom heavy. Because of that, most of the weight will be closer to the base of the heat sink so there will not be much stress to the board. So the center of gravity will be at the board and not at the top of the heat sink.

Imagine a flag pole extending horizontally from a wall. If you were to hang near the base of the pole, you probably won't break the pole. However if you hang near the end of the pole, you'll end up placing stress at the connection point and bending the pole. The Ninja works on the former example.

Thanks for the explaination, does it really matter which 120mm fan i use with it, or will any cheap fan work well with it?

Depending what you are trying to achieve. If you don't care about noise whatsoever, than any of the cheaper more powerful will do the job.

If noise does get to you, then from what I gather from other people, it seems like Yate Loon's 120mm (or the Nexus 120mm) are popular.

puremanb said:
Thanks for the explaination, does it really matter which 120mm fan i use with it, or will any cheap fan work well with it?

Higher flowing fans will always result in better performance. The Delta GFB1212VHW that Yuriman recommended will do the job, but it's next to impossible to find, and is 76mm thick and will probably pose a clearance problem in most cases. The TFB1212GHE is easier to find (though is still out of stock at most places), moves the same amount of air (220 cfm), albeit at a higher noise level, and is only 38mm thick. The FFB1212EHE is easy to find and only slightly less powerful (190 cfm). Any of those will do the job fine. You say you want the best performance and are fine with some noise, so I wouldn't use anything much less powerful than those.

Back