• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI, the Firefly Test, and overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paleh0rse

Ok, as you can see by the title, I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone with an SLI setup seen a difference in their OC potential simply by swapping the two cards around? (Swapping slots)

2) Has anyone else experienced system freezes in 3dmark06 during the Firefly test specifically? If so, was there a cure? perhaps a certain set of drivers?

The reason I ask is that I am getting alot of artifacts in BF2 and in 3dmark06 when i push my SLI config to 491/1180 (stock = 470/1100). It will pass 3dmark06 at that speed, but a 1mhz increase to either setting freezes it up completely during the Firefly test... and basically, im trying to figure out where my bottleneck is because i have seen others get much higher speeds out of the same cards...(see my sig for specs)

Thanks ahead of time.

hmm sounds weird, usually everyone just usues the 8.1.9.8's, or latest out at the time, also how are the temps ? maybe thats a problem ? if not how are your vRails ?

And yeah... you should be able to get more than 21mhz out of the core and way more than 80 outta the mem. something is wrong here...

DDR-PIII said:
hmm sounds weird, usually everyone just usues the 8.1.9.8's, or latest out at the time, also how are the temps ? maybe thats a problem ? if not how are your vRails ?

And yeah... you should be able to get more than 21mhz out of the core and way more than 80 outta the mem. something is wrong here...
well im currently using Ztweaked 82.12 drivers... they seem to be the highest scoring for me thus far. I think I'll try the XtremeG drivers next...

and if all else fails, ill swap the two cards around to see if that has any effect whatsoever...

DDR-PIII said:

That isn't true. My xfx6600gt is stock 500/1000, the most i can get out of it stable is 550/1050. That is even with a stasis icestorm on it. It could be the fact that one of the cards just isn't a good OC'er. Have you run them individually and OC'd them?

stang8118 said:
That isn't true. My xfx6600gt is stock 500/1000, the most i can get out of it stable is 550/1050. That is even with a stasis icestorm on it. It could be the fact that one of the cards just isn't a good OC'er. Have you run them individually and OC'd them?
no, you're right.. i'll try that too.

One of the settings that confuses me the most is the SLI Rendering Mode. I think it defaulted to "Single GPU Rendering", and I've read that changing it does nothing at all since the executable profiles override whatever you set as Global...soooo..

Another odd thing is that, atleast in SLI, the GPU does not appear to be adding the 40mhz that is supposedly the default for all 3d Performance instances. This is according to Riva's hardware monitor/logging. At stock, even with 3dmark or BF2 running, the core clock stays at 468mhz... And as far as I know, the CO models ARE supposed to have the 40mhz delta when they enter 3d Performance mode with the stock BIOS...???

oh well.. ill figure this out eventually... i have a few things to try, but i just wish that someone here could tell me whether or not swapping them would have any effect whatsoever, or is it a "weakest link" scenerio?

thanks again!

ps: Another question: Why does Riva report different GPU temps than any of my other programs? If this is another Expert board temperature issue, then I think I'm going to return the damn thing...

Back