• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Generation Nvidia AGP card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Here's the deal, I have a eVGA 6800 ultra that needs to be RMA'd. Problem is that there are no more 6800 ultras to RMA. So they gave me a choice of either a straight exchange for a 6800GS, or a 7800GT.

7800GT would have been fine.. except that I have a socket 478 setup. A 7800 would require me to upgrade to a completely new system... Too much money for my tastes.

6800GS was what they had to offer me in AGP, but it is not as good as a 6800 ultra, not even dual DVI outs! I paid for the 6800 ultra, not a 6800GS. They wouldn't pay me back the difference.

So after a bit angry customer persuasion, the representative spoke with his manager and now, they will be sending me a "loner card", a 6800GS, until the next model of AGP cards come out in Februrary... ??

After the next ones come out I can get a real replacement and send the GS back. Does anyone know what generation/designation they're talking about?

I'm thinking the 7600's. They are discontinuing the 6 series. 7600's will be the new mid-range gaming cards for nvidia.

Thetwizler24 said:
I'm thinking the 7600's. They are discontinuing the 6 series. 7600's will be the new mid-range gaming cards for nvidia.

ya, and im prettys sure they come out feb

looks like u win

Does anyone have links to articles? I'm a little bummed out that my 6800 will be gone, but what's this about 7600? I've never even heard of it until now.

Maviryk said:
Does anyone have links to articles? I'm a little bummed out that my 6800 will be gone, but what's this about 7600? I've never even heard of it until now.

if you can't get a 7800GS, take the 7800GT and save up for a pci-e 478 mobo, it's only like CAD$76 for a Sock 478 PCI-E motherboard, the 7800gt is way better too.

Take the 7800gt and save for a socket 478 board with PCI-e? I hope you're kidding because I would have to pay for an obsolete motherboard. No one makes those anymore. The only s478 boards with pci-e are
- ASUS P4GPL-X
- ASUS P4GD1
- Albatron PX915P4C Pro
- ASRock P4Dual-915GL
and they're all impossible to find with a good warranty. I'd take my P4C800e-dlx over them anyday.

Some articles I found for the "next" agp series, as long as they have dual DVI outs and have the same or better performance than my 6800 ultra I'll be ok. I have a strange feeling I'll have to buy a new waterblock though... :eh?:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20060111120545.html
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2058&Itemid=0

Do the 6800 and the 7800 use the same mounting points with the Maze4? I sure hope so.

if you dont want to upgrade then get the GS otherwise your only option is the 7800GT... Go ahead and wait for the next series if you want but I doubt that they'll be out by early febuary, i think the guy was probably talking about PCI-E cards, unless Nvidia does a simultanious launch of both AGP and PCIE versions which it has not done yet. IMHO I'd just get a cheap $50 mobo off ebay that has a PCIE slot and get the 7800GT, sell your old one and you'll be able to do a fairly good exchange. Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt your mobo also an obsolete piece of hardware? And why would you need a good warrenty on a $40-$60 motherboard..?

twoeyes said:
if you dont want to upgrade then get the GS otherwise your only option is the 7800GT... Go ahead and wait for the next series if you want but I doubt that they'll be out by early febuary, i think the guy was probably talking about PCI-E cards, unless Nvidia does a simultanious launch of both AGP and PCIE versions which it has not done yet. IMHO I'd just get a cheap $50 mobo off ebay that has a PCIE slot and get the 7800GT, sell your old one and you'll be able to do a fairly good exchange. Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt your mobo also an obsolete piece of hardware? And why would you need a good warrenty on a $40-$60 motherboard..?

You sir, missed my point. If I upgrade to PCI-E mobo, I would not be able to find a good board which supports 478 and all the features I'm currently using, IE, RAID, overclocking, and PSUs. I would even venture say my setup is better than most PCI-E computers.

Current setup:

Prescott 3.2e OC'ed to 3.84ghz @ 1.5v
2gb PDP DDR400 OC'ed to DDR480 @ 2.85v
2 x 36.6 gb Raptor in RAID0
4 x Storage drives
6800 Ultra (Soon to be 7800GS??)
Power PC & Cooling 510 DLX PSU
ASUS P4C800E-DLX
desk0fe.jpg

tower4zy.jpg

As others have said get them to send you an AGP 7800 due out on Feb 2nd.
If you can get them to send you one early tell them I want one too.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4348

Sweet! Thanks! Mmmm.... 7800 agp...

6800 ultras are worth 400+ on Ebay. Maybe the prices will drop when the 7800gs come. Muhuhahaha. Take that ppl with overheating 775s!

Ok, unofficially, Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS AGPs are coming out. Pricetag of anywhere from $291.72-334.95 dollars.

Googling "Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS AGP" produces 3 product search results from TechOnWeb, TechDepot, and Computer4Sure. Made by.. PNY and eVGA?

Back