• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA to IDE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OutS|der

k i just bought a new mobo cause mine crapped out and just realized it only has 2 SATA connections
now thats gonna be a prob as i have the Plextor716sa SATA burner and just ordered 2 new SATA hard drives
now what i'm wondering is, is there a way to hook up my SATA dvd to an IDE connection? i know there are ide to sata connections that let ya use an ide on a sata port but i'm wondering if there is one that works backwards from that
lets ya use a sata drive on a ide connection
if so where can i get one?

we could always trade burners, ive got a brand new NEC ive been using with a sata adapter :p

the only solution ive found with this was i had a ide>sata adapter, plugged it into the hard drive port on an external usb adapter thing (this one used a short cable so it worked) and then went from there to the sata drive.

i dont remember if it worked or not, because i had important data on the drive in a linux partition and no linux box ready to plug it into :p

OutS|der said:
k i just bought a new mobo cause mine crapped out and just realized it only has 2 SATA connections
now thats gonna be a prob as i have the Plextor716sa SATA burner and just ordered 2 new SATA hard drives
now what i'm wondering is, is there a way to hook up my SATA dvd to an IDE connection? i know there are ide to sata connections that let ya use an ide on a sata port but i'm wondering if there is one that works backwards from that
lets ya use a sata drive on a ide connection
if so where can i get one?

You mean like this?

Converter - SATA hard drive to IDE

Personally I would buy one of these instead.

PROMISE FASTTRAK TX2200 OEM PCI SATA Controller Card - OEM

More functionality better throughput and allows you to add another drive in the future. Oh yeah and it's chaper too.

ya if i'm buying a RAID card i'd be looking at a 8 port or more, only for in and when i do it on the next pc
i'm promiseing myself a new one by next year so any major toys will be then, if i can stop going off and buying 2 new hard drives i don't need on a new mobo that only supports 2 SATA connections leaving out my dvd buner lol
guess it wasnt so smart buying a SATA dvd burner, got a LG one i can use guess that will have to make, just hate giving up a plextor
anyone got an ide one ya wanna trade?

I have a Plextor 740A PATA 16x DL I'd be willing to trade! It is less than 4 months old, and works perfectly. I was also eying the 716A, as my MoBo only has one PATA port, and I hate using 2 Opticals on a single PATA bus (Right now, my 740a is mounted in an external USB enclosure).

Let me know :cool:

OutS|der said:
ya if i'm buying a RAID card i'd be looking at a 8 port or more, only for in and when i do it on the next pc...

I hope you got a bid budget for that o_O An enterprise class card like that will be $400 for the cheapest, assuming you want hardware (not software) raid. I'd hate to think what kind of load an 8-drive array would put on the cpu in software :eh?:

Back