• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do coolers only cool CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenNStevenson

Registered
Asetek Vapochill XE II

If I buy the standard Asetek Vapochill XE II with case, will I have to custom mod insulation and other things? How much knowledge of PhaseChange is neccessary to make this feasible.

Last edited:
That is up to you entirely. Just remember that the higher you clock something the more heat it is going to generate overall. So you are going to have to cool those components with something be it air or water.

:welcome: to the forums.

Do you want to mod it to run say on your GPU? If this is your first time with a phase unit I STRONGLY suggest against modifying it in anyway. Chances are you will just end up killing your hardware do to improper insulation or a bad mount.

Get the unit in your hands, learn everything there is to know about it and do as much reading up on the subject as possible before you attempt to mess around with phase cooling. The risk of killing your stuff is just to great if you do not know what you are doing.

I dont want to scare you off from going to phase I just dont want you to buy a expensive unit with the impresion that it will be easy to mod it.

basicly.. any major mod. will require tools and know-how..
tools like gauges, torch, correct soder, evacuation pump (or modded compressor to do the job).. and knowing what to do with the tools..

there are some dangers involved with preasure.. reading about static preasure would be a good idea as well..

and the trickest part is recalibrating the refergerant charge for the heat load your going to put on the system.. (to get the coldest temps. for the amount of heat your components are going to put off)

I really havnt seen a great deal of information all in one place.. but there is a retired HAVC guy that has written books on the subject (his books are highly recomended by some phase change pep's)
his name is Gary.... here is the link.. http://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod/
Ive seen him post on other boards and he really knows what he's talking about..

Back