• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another one hits the check out button before its too late..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
The title says it all.
I got a real bad itch tonight telling me that "I needed to purchase the ATI X1900XT". I went onto Newegg.com and saw that they were in stock and guaranteed 3 day delivery. I entered in all of my CC info and sat in my chair, staring at the check out button for about 5 minutes. lol

$549 Later, I hit the damn button before the good side of me got a hold of my brain and told me not to press the button.

On a good note, I should have the latest Radeon X1900XT in my hands by Saturday or Monday. :) That means the 7800GTX will have to be saying good bye. I plan on keeping with the latest video hardware. Whoever is on top, whether it be Nvidia or ATI, I am going to try them/ buy them/ benchmark them/ and provide the public with some results. Since my ACS3 7800GTX is in shortage right now, I believe I can get a good sum of my money back on that card. As soon as the 7900 Nvidia comes out hopefully the same holds true for my latest ATI purchase.

I wonder how long I will be in the ATI camp for?? :santa:

Dom

I bought one today at Fry's. Was shocked they had one in stock. The geek at the checkout counter was green with envy telling me how he just spent his last pennies on an 850xt. hehe :D

F yeah! Now help Rattle and I figure out all the bs. For starters, DVD playback...grrr.

Jod said:
F yeah! Now help Rattle and I figure out all the bs. For starters, DVD playback...grrr.

Dont scare me away before I even get the card. :)
Please elaborate in a short summary of the BS and problems that you have been experiencing. I read that you and Rattle are having problems with the OC'ing. But whats going on with the DVD playback? I need DVD Playback!!! :bang head

Dom

Careface said:
lol nice buy, if only I had the guts like you to click on that button :D Get some benches up as soon as you get that beast

Careface*

Newegg has a deferred payment program with any purchase over $500 in case you are interested. You buy now and you dont pay a penny for 6 months. If you pay the balance in full by July 1st, they dont charge you a cent in finance charges. <---- Thats in case you change your mind. :santa:

I used a good old credit card for my purchase. Hopefully this card is worth while.

Dom

MidnightQ4 said:
I bought one today at Fry's. Was shocked they had one in stock. The geek at the checkout counter was green with envy telling me how he just spent his last pennies on an 850xt. hehe :D

LMAO.... :santa:

Tell him I will sell him my evga 7800GTX for a good price. lol

DDR-PIII said:
just gonna get another when dx10 comesout heh ? :p for ps.40

hehe
Exactly. I am definitely going to keep up on the game. When you already own a $500 video card and a new card comes out every 3 months, it doesnt really give your original card that much time to depreciate in value. Theoretically, after I sell my previous card I will be spending from $50 to $100 extra every time I buy a new card. But hey, this is what I love to do. :)

Especially since I already took the plunge on my first $400++ (7800gtx) video card which I think is obsurd. I guess that old saying holds true "You gotta pay to play"

Dom

dominick32 said:
hehe
Exactly. I am definitely going to keep up on the game. When you already own a $500 video card and a new card comes out every 3 months, it doesnt really give your original card that much time to depreciate in value. Theoretically, after I sell my previous card I will be spending from $50 to $100 extra every time I buy a new card. But hey, this is what I love to do. :)

Especially since I already took the plunge on my first $400++ (7800gtx) video card which I think is obsurd. I guess that old saying holds true "You gotta pay to play"

Dom

thats very too, so once you fork out t hat 500 or so dollars, your really only paiing 100 or so afterwards "if you get a decent price on your previous card" so it kinda works out, :) its just that first time of spending that much that is iffy to me haha,i dont really wanna get stuck with something like that haha, then i would really hear it from my gf lol....

DDR-PIII said:
thats very too, so once you fork out t hat 500 or so dollars, your really only paiing 100 or so afterwards "if you get a decent price on your previous card" so it kinda works out, :) its just that first time of spending that much that is iffy to me haha,i dont really wanna get stuck with something like that haha, then i would really hear it from my gf lol....

Dude,
LMAO... I hear it from my girlfriend also. She filps out on me every time I drop some cash on new hardware. I try and tell her "Honey, I am just trading this one in for an upgrade, the company is offering a "free" trade up program"
hahaha All BS of course. :clap:

Dom

dominick32 said:
Dont scare me away before I even get the card. :)
Please elaborate in a short summary of the BS and problems that you have been experiencing. I read that you and Rattle are having problems with the OC'ing. But whats going on with the DVD playback? I need DVD Playback!!! :bang head

Dom

Well for starters, I got shipped a bum card. It pretty much told me to f off after a bit of F.E.A.R.ing :bang head Fortunately Fry's has them in stock...LOTS of them in stock! I couldn't freakin' believe it. I mean, they JUST got the x1800's! I think I read somewhere that the 580 was the "refresh" and scheduled for release at this time. Somethin' funky happened with the x1800's and they got out late...1.1ns ram anyone, lol!?

Ok, so I haven't used ATI since the 9800 and I seriously have no idea if they even offer accelerated DVD or what. I know there was a big fuss about H.264 (sooper dooper gay codec), but nothing I could find on DVD playback. I did find a nice download on ATI's site, but it didn't recognize my driver disc and told me to f off too. I get that a lot lately!

Also coming from nv, the driver install was maddening! But I'm used to it now. It only took me about 5-6 times and now I don't mind waiting at all, lol!

Of special interest to me's their "encoding utility" on xseries cards. There's an art on anand, but the skinny's 4-5 times quicker than a modern cpu. I don't know about you, but that's some major muffin lovin' right there.

Jod ;-)

dominick32 said:
hehe

Been doing this since I sold my first cirrus logic 1MB VRAM upgrade module to my bro, lol! And right on with the "But hey, this is what I love to do." Mad justifcation to shut anyone up right there.

Being that it is friday, you wont get processed till monday. You got all weekend to talk yourself out of it..........

Did you talk yourself out of it yet? :D

*chuckles*

Good luck man, and enjoy that hawt card. The benches are showing it to be a nice unit.

Jod said:
Well for starters, I got shipped a bum card. It pretty much told me to f off after a bit of F.E.A.R.ing :bang head Fortunately Fry's has them in stock...LOTS of them in stock! I couldn't freakin' believe it. I mean, they JUST got the x1800's! I think I read somewhere that the 580 was the "refresh" and scheduled for release at this time. Somethin' funky happened with the x1800's and they got out late...1.1ns ram anyone, lol!?

Ok, so I haven't used ATI since the 9800 and I seriously have no idea if they even offer accelerated DVD or what. I know there was a big fuss about H.264 (sooper dooper gay codec), but nothing I could find on DVD playback. I did find a nice download on ATI's site, but it didn't recognize my driver disc and told me to f off too. I get that a lot lately!

Also coming from nv, the driver install was maddening! But I'm used to it now. It only took me about 5-6 times and now I don't mind waiting at all, lol!

Of special interest to me's their "encoding utility" on xseries cards. There's an art on anand, but the skinny's 4-5 times quicker than a modern cpu. I don't know about you, but that's some major muffin lovin' right there.

Jod ;-)

Been doing this since I sold my first cirrus logic 1MB VRAM upgrade module to my bro, lol! And right on with the "But hey, this is what I love to do." Mad justifcation to shut anyone up right there.

Pretty much just bad luck for you on that first card. I am glad everything following the "bum card" worked out for you. As far as the DVD software, I guess I can wait a few weeks for the new drivers, just hopefully 2 weeks doesnt turn into 4 and 4 doesnt turn into 2 months, etc. etc.

Heck, by that time we may have another card. LMAO :santa:

jstutman said:
Being that it is friday, you wont get processed till monday. You got all weekend to talk yourself out of it..........

Did you talk yourself out of it yet? :D

Besides the fact that it shipped from California today @ 12:07 :) , I am pretty much in a good mood now and not worried about talking myself out of it. A few good things happened today.

#1. I sold my Danger Den Water Cooling Setup
#2. I sold an old AIW Radeon 9800 Pro card
-After selling the Nvidia 7800GTX I will be making all of my money back on my latest X1900XT purchase and I will have a ton to spare.

However, I decided on a new Vapochill Phase Change setup which will soon cancel everything else out financially. lol

Dom

Enablingwolf said:
*chuckles*

Good luck man, and enjoy that hawt card. The benches are showing it to be a nice unit.

Thanks, I will have tons of results by the end of next week.

Dom

dominick32 said:
Pretty much just bad luck for you on that first card. I am glad everything following the "bum card" worked out for you.
Yes indeed, I think someone got really excited and started humping the card on the manu line. Probably hummin' a little jig like, "BooM wees got yer NV! BooM wees got yer NV!"

*crack*

New card not only runs cooler, but doesn't stop me from loading windows! Yea!
dominick32 said:
Heck, by that time we may have another card. LMAO :santa:
Spoken like a true addict. :cool:
dominick32 said:
However, I decided on a new Vapochill Phase Change setup which will soon cancel everything else out financially. lol

Dom
LMFAO! Oops. How much does one of those set ya back? OCZ had somethin' on display at the last CES. All I know's it's Phase and it's CHEAP!

Overclocker550 said:
looks like itll be time to spend $800 on a 7900gtx in a little more than a month ;)

LMFAO.. If the 7900GTX does prove to be $800, I may just have to hold off on that one. In all seriousness, even a crazy hardware addict like myself needs to draw a line, that kind of dough will be dipping into my health insurance payments each month. :)

And if the benchmarks prove the X1900XT to be better than even the new 7900 by Nvidia I may just hold off from the future purchase completely until ATI's next big showcase. Who knows, maybe game producers will focus more on Pixel Shaders(as ATI predicts) in the future and all of ATI's hard work will pay off.

Honestly though, $800 is way over budget. I would have to say if a new card came out within 2 or 3 months that was proven to destroy its predecessor in all of the benchies and it was in the under the $600 pricing point I would definitely get my hands on it.

Dom

Back