• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newguy help overclocking pc ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newguy99

I am looking at overclocking my system and could use some support. Last time I used this forum is when I put this pc together and it was great. Hope you can step up and help. Below is my system. I mainly use the pc for gaming and some video editting and am hoping I can speed thinghs up a bit. Any help you could lend as far as settings and/or benchmark software,how to get out of trouble, etc would be awesome. Please dumb it down for me as I have no experience doing this.

P4 2.0 GHZ
ASUS P4B533 BOARD
768 MB RAM
NVIDIA GEFORCE 5200 FX(kinda weak,but i am trying to o/c it too...help?)
2 EXTRA CASE FANS
GAMES : RAVEN SHIELD,BATTLEFIELD 2(trying to o/c so i can run it better)

Thansk for the help !!!

Cheers,

Read the stickies, first and foremost. Everything you need is in there.

You won't have much luck if you're overclocking just to run BF2 well. It seems to like 2GB ram, a fast processor, and a mid to high end videocard.

But basically, you overclock your system by increasing the FSB. This will make your processor faster (find the multiplier for exact speeds), and it will make the rest of your system run faster as well. You need to find the sweet spot for your FSB so that your motherboard, processor, memory, and temperatures are all reasonable and safe.

Benchmark with aquamark, pcmark, 3dmark, superpi, etc.

I have a 3.06 ht in that mobo.

It is able to oc to 155 fsb on it with some kingston pc2100 mem - single stick of 512 running 1:1 2.5-3-3-7.

Not sure but these older mobo's/chipsets can be limited by the number of sticks of mem they have to drive.

First try to see how fast your cpu will go - first lock the agp to 33 in your bios.
Leave your mem settings at spd and see how far your can raise the fsb and stay stable with reasonable temps (ideally cpu less than 50C). Use some stability tools like prime95 (torture test option ... run blended test). Pcmark04? ... others?

Other useful oc tools - cpu-z and sandra ... u can find them all through google or the stickies.

i use speedfan on that mobo to monitor temps.

I use mine for folding, not gaming but its folding production is a little more than half of my other northwoods that are 3+ ghz with 800fsb and fast memory.
By comparison, i have a few 775 p4's that produce over twice as much.

So don't expect miracles.

I don't think i played with mem dividers on my OC but i see from the manual that they are supported. You probably only need to worry about them if your cpu OC's well but you mem is to slow. You may need to relax your memory timings to see what your max cpu OC will be.

You may be able to OC your video card too ... I would go look in the video forum for help on that.

Read lots and good luck!

:welcome: to OC'ing!

thanks for the information. Looks like I will have my work cut out for me !!

Thanks again !!!

Cheers,

Back