• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows has problems with OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keku

Registered
Whenever I OC my processor through the BIOS, Windows doesn't seem to recogninze the new speed, even though the BIOS is still correct. I have my 3200 Venice OC'ed to 2.5 ghz, but Windows detects it as 1.9 ghz. In fact, all programs that can detect it, detect it at 1.9 ghz. When I finished my OCing in the BIOS, I was met with a prompt to either restore Windows to the last know working setting, start Windows normally, or start it in Safe Mode. Even though I went with starting it normally, it still detects my overclock wrong. Any solutions?

Could you try reinstalling your operating system? You could also make sure your BIOS is running the latest version. I'd also try a lower overclock, maybe your motherboard is somehow throttling back the processor because it thinks it's running to fast. These are just guesses, but it might not necessarily be a problem with Windows. See what happens if you just do a light overclock to 2.0GHz instead of all the way up to 2.5GHz.

Run a CPUID proggy, like GCPUID (my sig) and post a screenshot. Something's not right there. windows should not have a problem detecting the correct clock speed when OCed, unless something is not done right. Also when you run stock speed, does windows detect the correct speed?

I changed some BIOS settings, and found out that when I go over 250mhz on my FSB, it goes into a safe mode (before, I had my BIOS not stop on any errors, but I changed that). I was finally able to load optimized defaults for my BIOS, and that fixed the problem, thankfully. Also, when the speed was underclocked, it somehow set off my FSB:RAM ratio. Before, it was CPU\12, but after it was set to 1:1.

And no, Windows didn't detect the stock speed when I set it at it.

Back