• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a voodoo 3 work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siresword

evga just emailed me and said that i could step up to a 512 7800gtx, so i think im gonna do that. unfortunately i dont have any pci video cards except for an ancient voodoo3 that i bought when i was in 5th grade (...yeah)
anyway i was wondering if it'll be compatible with windows xp? do i need to like...uninstall directx ? :(

i tried forum search and rseven said that windows xp has drivers that'll work without me needing to install new ones.
anyway i just want to use this card for a week or two while my 7800 is gone..
will my computer work with a voodoo 3 (pci - 16mb i think .. heh no idea on the rest of it) ?

*edit* oops and uhh sorry this is in nvidia.. i was under the impression that my voodoo 3 was an ancient nvidia card lol

siresword said:
haha cool thanks
umm i dont have to uninstall directx or anything weird right?

Nope. Without those drivers, it will just show up as "Standard VGA Adapter", 640x480@60hz. Besides, DX comes with XP. If it's anything like IE, good luck getting it all out. ;)

Even without the drivers mine came up registered as a Voodoo 3 by XP no problem. The drivers might help the picture but as I'm just using it to run a second monitor for web browsing I didn't bother with them. 143 core/143 mem baby yeah!

Last edited:
voodoos are very old cards and will run old, 16 bit color games like quake3 or older type of games. They couldnt compete and went bankrupt long ago.

I remember they were the rage and top of the game with their voodoo2 SLI and also their voodoo3 PCI was extremely popular, I was thinking of getting one before I had agp but I got a tnt PCI instead which was just as fast and had more features, including 32 bit colors :) Then 3dfx came with the voodoo4 and voodoo5 but those werent competitive against Nvidia's geforce and geforce2 in both speed and features. The geforce cards did much better in newer games and were alot more futureproof

Last edited:
Overclocker550 said:
voodoos are very old cards and will run old, 16 bit color games like quake3 or older type of games. They couldnt compete and went bankrupt long ago.

I remember they were the rage and top of the game with their voodoo2 SLI and also their voodoo3 PCI was extremely popular, I was thinking of getting one before I had agp but I got a tnt PCI instead which was just as fast and had more features, including 32 bit colors :) Then 3dfx came with the voodoo4 and voodoo5 but those werent competitive against Nvidia's geforce and geforce2 in both speed and features. The geforce cards did much better in newer games and were alot more futureproof

Doom 3 run's on a voodoo, LOL, they made some patch so it would play :p

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462

Hey, I used one of those Voodoo 3's on a rig here up till last month. It was a solid card in it's day. They ended up being bought out by their major competitor, Nvidia, as they were going belly up. Yes, Windows XP has a built in driver and there are many third party drivers to be found on the internet.

heh wow okay thanks guys
this is just a temporary replacement while evga ships me my new 512 7800 so i was just wondering if it would work so i could use my comp while im sending my old card back

edit: um on a side note ... cs 1.6 shouldn't be a problem right? i'd be very sad if it couldn't :(

CS 1.6 should run fine. I've ran CS 1.6 on a old 4mb Off brand PCI card. Sure it only ran at the lowest possible resolution and with a software render, but it did run.

for reference: ive run CS1.6 on a 2mb PCI trio 64v+ in software rendering.. wasnt exactly playable (around 10-15fps in 640*480) but at least it ran. Ive also had ut99 running on said card running on a Durex 900 in 16colours and getting 3-4fps.

Careface*

Overclocker550 said:

One of the reasons they went bankrupt was that they managed to lose a big contract for the Sega Saturn. The TNT cards did 32 bit colour, but 16bit 3Dfx glide looked as good as the 32bit rendering on the TNTs (if only more games had supported it). The Voodoo 4 and 5 were reasonably feature comparable with the geforce cards, the Geforces had hardware T&L and DDR support, while the Voodoos had FSAA and fancy texture compression. But yeah the geforces were definitely more modern designs, and cheaper to make due to a smaller process.

Last edited:
Other reasons was because their cards cost more to make and couldnt keep up in more modern games to the competition. They had alot of fanboys going for them but even those jumped ship

Back