• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need cheap mobo and ram suggestions for a 630

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowfat

This will be my first P4 system and have no experience with them either. I do need a PCIe board, but don't need crossfire nor SLI. What are some boards which are cheap ($150CAD, ~$130USD) and OCs decently? I don't need huge overclocks, but something decent would be nice. I can buy either an Asus P5PL2 or a P5ND2-SLI here both pretty cheaply, are either of those decent boards?
I don't need specific ram sugguestions, just need to know if timings make all that big of difference. I was planning on buying Corsair 2X512 PC2-533 DDR2 valueram.

AL8 or AL8-V Abit. I built a 630 machine with 2x512MB Corsair PC4200 Valueram two weeks ago with the AL8-V and it turned out great. It's running at 4GHz at 1.45V Vcore. Running 266fsb in 1:1 mode for 533DDR at 4-4-4-12 so everything is in-spec aside from the processor OC. Very nice setup, and fast. It is probably capable or running faster, but the kid bought it to game with and the real fps distinction is between running it at 3GHz or 4, not whether it runs 4 or 4.2.

Back