• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network two PCs using PhoneLine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Hello, a long time ago I am pretty sure I remember my brother showing me a way to connect two computers togather using just a phone line and two modems. This is a skill I very much need right now due to a large file transfer (8.7gbs) I wish to do between both computers. All I remember about what he showed me was something like F://IP address and it just loads that HDD like it would a folder on my pc. Can anyway tell me exacly how I would go about doing this. I am on Win Xp pro and the other PC has Home edition on it. Thanks very much for any help.

AT and ATA in the hyperterminal. :D

http://www.zoltrix.com/support_html/modem/USEMODEM.HTM

AT Attention. Wakes up the modem

ATD(T|P) xxx-xxx-xxxx Dials the modem in either tone (T) or pulse (P), followed by the number.

ATA Automatic answer

ATH(0|1) Pick up (1), or Hang up (0)

ATZ Reset the modem

Your going to have to set the recieve modem to auto answer. Then the sending modem will be the command host. :shrug:

I am going off really old information that I forgot. It has been a really really long time since I even thought of this stuff.

Your best bet is pull the drive out and slave it. The modem will only send as fast as its tech will allow. Think in terms of 28.8 or 56k. For gigs that is weeks to transfer times.

Yeah, geuss that would not work out well then. As for slave its a lappy and not one I can take apart. Guess I may need to get a cat cable.

yeah a cat cable is your best bet, transferring 8.7gbs through 56k? no thanks :( unless its really really really really really important and.. you dont mind having your phone line busy for weeks on end :p

Careface*

make sure you get a crossover cable and you can just plug from NIC to NIC and you could transfer that a million times faster than doing it over a modem.

If you don't have a CAT5/6. Use any memory card you can attach to the unit. I have used my camera as a storage drive. If you have to, RAR into managed size volumes and then move it that way. Would be a last resort option. If you happen to have a 1 gig jump drive it would work also. Would not take a whole long time, though would not be as fast as using modern networking options.

Just rar the files needed to be transfed into a size that will fit on the transfer media. (Like torrents use on large files.) Pull the data onto the drive. Move the media over to host computer. Rince and repeat.

If you are forced to use this option and don't know how to rar int ovolumes. get back here and I can toss a few hints on how this is done. The cable is your best bet. I wanted to try and answer your question, but remind you how sucky what you wanted to do would of been for you. There is plenty of options, some are just not desirable. I almost mentioned null modem also. Not much better then a 56k though.

Good luck!

I'd deffinatly recommend using a crossover cable and a pair of NICs. You can get NICs brand new for just a few quid and they'll probably come in handy in the future.

Yeah I got a the cable I needed today. I tried using my 512 thumbdrive but was to lazy. Could have burned it on a duel dvd but though this would be a good chance to learn a little about networks, since on 56k I really never have a normal need to use them. Thanks for the help and sorry for my dumb question. For some reason I kind of blocked out that .92 can only do like 56 down and what 48k up?

Since your usinfg XP pro. You can check out the VPN or other nifty features that only Pro has. Like the remote desktop and other things. Thats if you can take liberties like that. Learning how to network is a good thing actually. Especially if your going to be working on others computers. Getting it set up fast and correctly will be so much easier down the road.

On the dumb question. Not really a dumb question. If it was for other uses. It would not been so bad of a choice. Not very efficient though comapred to todays hardware, but still can do the light tasks.
I almost forgot how to do that. I am still hazy on the specifics. Was a good trot down memory lane.

Yeah pro definatly has some nice features. I have not even used close to half of them but ones like remote desktop have come in handy when the person you are trying to help just is not understanding what you say.

One of the things Pro has over home and I belive is the most powerful. Is the networking and control over it. If you can setup a simple VPN and check that out. I enjoyed that about Pro. Not that I miss it. I can buy a program to overcome that now. But having built in makes it nice. Good thing to know also.

On my old 2400+ I used to connect my old Gateway server(700Mhz Intel) on the other side of town to make sure all was good, schedule minor tasks or do simple repairs. So my brother in law did not have to, or me not having to take a road trip. The old computer was not connected to the www. So it was easy to tell him the night before to plug in the phone line and leave it on with a schedule I had setup for dialing my computer(my home number). Then I would just let the computer answer the computer, drop a few batch files/reg keys in. Then let'er rip. Can't do that now. One; I don't have a modem installed, gave that to a member here. Two; I don't have that feature in Home version.

If the liberty is there or the chance. That would be a fun exercise to try. It would give you alot of insight on how networks do thier thing. The reading leading up to setting a VPN up will give you knowledge beyond simple home networking. It really is not that hard either. If I can figure it out, so can you. lol

There are also adaptors out there that you can plug in your laptop HD into the IDE ribbon of your PC and use it like a normal drive. But, if taking the HD out of the lappy is not possible, then the cat5 crossover is your best bet. Even at that, its still going to take a while to x-fer 8+Gb..

Good luck, and have fun.

Lee

Back