• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 - how good is this batch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Klimpen

I have asked this same question before about another CPU and I got very good answers from you all. So here we go again, this time it's an opteron 165
that I am wondering about.

How good or bad is this batch for OC'ing?

AMD Opteron
OSA165DAA6CD
CCBWE 0551VPMW
139294AL50503

Assembled in Malaysia.

Let me know guys, what can you read out of those number because I'm just to bad at understanding it. Is it a know batch for OC'ing?

Even among the same week chips the CPU's are made from different wafers so its common to see varying overclocks from them. Add to that individual skill/components and it gets even more grey. The best thing is to run it and see what it will do for you.

That being said from what I've seen the 0550UPMW's are the ones to look for right now.

I've got mine (same stepping) to run up to 285x9 so far but temps are high (at 40/60). The temp problem is probably because of my core not making good contact with the IHS or my mobo.

You all probably know all this anyway but its VERY important to get the HSF properly seated especially with the heat crazy dual cores. I was getting pretty much 40/60 temps until the third attempt at seating the HSF. Now I'm at 38/52

dual cores are not heatcrazy.. im not even using the correct fan.. using a low CFM 120mm and im getting 30/45

i guess if i go a littl higher i MITE hit 35 idle

azu said:
dual cores are not heatcrazy.. im not even using the correct fan.. using a low CFM 120mm and im getting 30/45

i guess if i go a littl higher i MITE hit 35 idle

Have to agree. Mines sitting around 30-31C Idle and 40-42C Full Load. Not bad for a 7V air setup :)

THere not heat makers really, its just either poor contact with the heatsink and taking a few trys at reseating it usually makes a huge difference. Or just very very poor contact with the IHS, which can lead to extremely high temps that just don't seem right. In that case just removing the IHS, and putting some AS5 under it and putting it back ontop or running it without the IHS and you'll see some nice results from that too.

What do you mean by IHS? H for Heat and S for Sink but what is the abbrevation I for.

I will get my own Opty 165 today or tomorrow along with a DFI RDX200 CF-DR and a new X1900XTX 512. That will be combined with 2x1 Crucial Ballistix Z503 and a Raptor...

Klimpen said:
What do you mean by IHS? H for Heat and S for Sink but what is the abbrevation I for.

I will get my own Opty 165 today or tomorrow along with a DFI RDX200 CF-DR and a new X1900XTX 512. That will be combined with 2x1 Crucial Ballistix Z503 and a Raptor...

IHS = Integerated Heat Sink

OK youo mean a regular cooler or is it like I think it is, that you can actually remove the metal top of the CPU? Can it be that crazy?

Klimpen said:
OK youo mean a regular cooler or is it like I think it is, that you can actually remove the metal top of the CPU? Can it be that crazy?

Yup you remove the metal plate from the top of the CPU :) I got one myself oh it was grand when I finished it hehe.

deathman20 said:
Yup you remove the metal plate from the top of the CPU :) I got one myself oh it was grand when I finished it hehe.

Did you have to shave some mm off of your heatsink bracket to compenstate for the removal of the IHS?

dawei213 said:
Did you have to shave some mm off of your heatsink bracket to compenstate for the removal of the IHS?
You always should. If not its possible the heatsink won't sit properly (if at all) on the core. Its also easy to do all you need is a table, a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper, and a minute or so of your time to sand down the bottom side of the bracket down a bit.

BTW: 2 of my dual cores have clip-on HS and have had great results and no chipped cores. The people who say its soooo bad to use a clip-on with a bare core must have never owned a K7 system. :)

The CCBWE 0551VPMW should be the same as the 0550, expect circa 2.6Ghz on stock voltage.

Back