• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant pass prime95 @ 2.70 ghz with my 3500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtkya

Registered
I am using
motherboard: A8n-sli motherboard (non premium , deluxe)
cpu: 3500+ venus core
memory: Infineon 2x 512 mb value ( it is able to run 470 mhz prime95 stable @ 2.5 ghz and with only 1.75 vdimm) ~~

the problem i am having is..when i set my memory divider to some else other than 1:1 ratio ~ it wont be able to run prime95 stable...
even with an underclocked speed..

my memory wont be able to run 1:1 at high fsb so i must lower the divider
but once i do that i wont be able to pass both superpi and prime95

anyone with similiar problem??
plz help me out

the a8n-sli is really not an easy board to overclock with..
in my experience..either that or the chip itself that is limiting me

mtkya said:
the a8n-sli is really not an easy board to overclock with..
in my experience..either that or the chip itself that is limiting me
If you read the sticky about the A8N-SLI board at the top of this forum, you will read that memory dividers on this board don't work very well with Venice cores. I have verified this with my hardware. On my Asus A8V Deluxe board, my 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix ran great with a divider using this same 3200+ Venice CPU. However, applying the same divider on the A8N-SLI board results in extreme instability. I had to change my approach and keep the memory running 1:1 with the HTT in order to achieve a comparable overclock.

Unfortunately, this means that you need good overclockable memory if you hope to achieve a decent CPU overclock using a Venice core on this board. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it seems to be true as far as I can tell. I suggest you further relax your memory timings, increase VDimm, and run the memory 1:1 with HTT if you really want a higher CPU clock with this board. Otherwise, you'll probably need to get better RAM.

Asus seems to have extremely crappy BIOS support. There is absolutely no reason that the dividers should malfunction like this with one of the most popular CPU cores.

KillrBuckeye said:
If you read the sticky about the A8N-SLI board at the top of this forum, you will read that memory dividers on this board don't work very well with Venice cores. I have verified this with my hardware. On my Asus A8V Deluxe board, my 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix ran great with a divider using this same 3200+ Venice CPU. However, applying the same divider on the A8N-SLI board results in extreme instability. I had to change my approach and keep the memory running 1:1 with the HTT in order to achieve a comparable overclock.

Unfortunately, this means that you need good overclockable memory if you hope to achieve a decent CPU overclock using a Venice core on this board. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it seems to be true as far as I can tell. I suggest you further relax your memory timings, increase VDimm, and run the memory 1:1 with HTT if you really want a higher CPU clock with this board. Otherwise, you'll probably need to get better RAM.

Asus seems to have extremely crappy BIOS support. There is absolutely no reason that the dividers should malfunction like this with one of the most popular CPU cores.

yeah you are so right about this..
so far i am able to overclock my memory to pc3800~~ ddr470
but i know my cpu's max potential is 2750-2800
my memory wont be to run 1:1 for sure even with 11x divider..
so i guess it is either a new board or new memories
thx for the help

Back