• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.2 GHZ compared to 3.2GHZ...i cant deside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{ace of spades}

Disabled
Just before you think i am totally retarded hear me out! There is more to the question than the title :p

I have an option, and i cant deside, ive been on the alienware site all day and its driving me crazy! This is my choise, i get a laptop which has a .2 ghz cpu which is 2.1" thick, or i get a 2.2ghz laptop which is .85" thick. All the other specs are the same and the prices are really similar.

What i want to know is, is 1ghz REALLY that much different? How noticiable is it? Will i still be able to play hl2 and bf2 on it if i have a 6800 and 1gb of ram on top of that.

Please help me deside between these, and please dont try and convince me out of an alienware...its too late :p

James

3.2 will be a p4 and chew up the batterys and generate more heat
2.2 will be a PM of some sort (unless they use amd) will use few watts and run longer on batterys. i dont know which architecture is bettre for games.

well you can get pms with Clock Speed of 1.50 to 2.26 GHz
Featuring Intel® Pentium® M processor^
Architecture Cache Clock Speed Front Side Bus Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology Execute Disable Bit°
Intel® Pentium® M processor 780 90 nm 2MB L2 2.26 GHz 533 MHz

but any who he said 2.2 and i could'nt find a pm2.2 so yeah hafa ur probably right there.

This is the exact cpu it would be :

Intel® Pentium® M 770 2.13GHz 2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB

Your saying this would be ok for gaming? I have a 3.2 p4 atm in my computer, how will it compare with that?

{ace of spades} said:
This is the exact cpu it would be :

Intel® Pentium® M 770 2.13GHz 2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB

Your saying this would be ok for gaming? I have a 3.2 p4 atm in my computer, how will it compare with that?

looks like its a dothan so it would blow the 3.2ghz away most likely.

A 2.13 Dothan will be amazing for gaming, its architecture is based on the old p-3s so more power in less gigs. You videocard will proably be the bottleneck of your set up.

Dothan I believe is the old name for a Mobile(maybe the core I forget). Anyway for a real laptop I would go mobile, the heat is better, batterlife is better, and pound for pound they are much more efficent like a cely compared to a p4. You may also want to look at some Asus laptops btw, they have some great lightwieght gaming rigs.

A pentium m 2.13ghz CPU uses a dothan core, with 2mb L2 cache. Its performance is similar to P4 3.4ghz cpu or an A64 3400, but it uses a fraction of the power and produces much less heat.

And hafa, the pentium m cpus top out at 2.26ghz.

{ace of spades} said:
Since it says pentium m im guessing its not dothan?
Theres a P4, than theres a mobile P4, and than there is a Pentium-M which is the dothan chip , so the one you have is based on Sonoma platform with 533 bus.

Thanks for all the info guys, dont know what i would do without you :D

Once i get it, ill post up a review here with temps, benchmark results and the like.

ok ok... lets set a few things straight here...

there are currently 4 flavors of the pentium-m

bianas... 400mhz fsb 1mb l2 cache max speed = 1.8ghz
dothan... 400mhz fsb 2mb l2 cache max speed = 2.1ghz
sonoma... 533mhz fsb 2mb l2 cache max speed = 2.26ghz
Yonah... 667mhz fsb dual core...

I would never reccomend a p4 for a laptop... they may be cheap but they are just to power hungry... and a pentium-m can smoke a p4 (in a laptop) any day...

ozzlo said:
ok ok... lets set a few things straight here...

there are currently 4 flavors of the pentium-m

dothan... 400mhz fsb 2mb l2 cache max speed = 2.1ghz
sonoma... 533mhz fsb 2mb l2 cache max speed = 2.26ghz
Yonah... 667mhz fsb dual core...

I would never reccomend a p4 for a laptop... they may be cheap but they are just to power hungry... and a pentium-m can smoke a p4 (in a laptop) any day...
Correction:
1.) The sonoma is a mobile chipset package. The dothan comes in both 400mhz and 533 mhz varieties.
2.) Yonah comes in both a single core and a dual core variety.

So:
dothan... 400mhz or 533mhz fsb 2mb l2 cache max speed = 2.26ghz
Yonah... 667mhz fsb, single or dual core, 2mb l2 cache

dvandervelde said:
Correction:
1.) The sonoma is a mobile chipset package. The dothan comes in both 400mhz and 533 mhz varieties.
2.) Yonah comes in both a single core and a dual core variety.

I'm sorry but I must correct you back...

NAPA IS THE 533mhz i915 MOBILE CHIPSET PACKAGE... THE DOTHAN CAN ONLY BE 533mhz IF IT IS PINMODDED(overclocked)... SONOMA IS THE NAME GIVEN TO THE 533mhz STEPPING OF THE PENTIUM-M.. AND WELL YOU DID GET ME ON THE LAST ONE... YONAH DOES COME IN SINGLE CORE VARIETY BUT I WAS IN A HURRY1... ;) i would have posted the other specs but you see I stopped before I finished...

gosh darn capslock key... please forgive me I wasn't shouting, i'm just too lazy to retype...

the sonoma cpu has a stepping of C0 and is 533mhz and further more all sonoma cpu's end in "0" for example 780, 760, 730

the dothan cpu has a stepping of b1 and is 400mhz and further more all dothan cpu's end in "5" for example 765,775 also of further note that the bianas core cpu's have the exact same core as the dothan does but the dothan core is scaled down to 90nm with some more cache but they are the same stepping...

If you look at the intel sSpec finder you will see that no chip with a stepping of b1(dothan) runs at a frequency of 533mhz...
http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...e=ALL&PkgType=ALL&btnFOS=Filter+on+selections

I will bring up the intel whitepapers if i have to...

Last edited:
Back