• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheiftec/Chenming case owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toostrike22

Registered
I have been looking for a full tower that has good cooling and plenty of room.The Cheiftec/Chenming cases seem to bit the bill.These cases come in many flavors.The standard set up is 2 (80's) in front and two dual 80's in the back for exhaust.I have seen these cases with (2) 80's in the front and (1) 120 in back.Some with side window including fan ports.Some don't.

Here are some of my concerns:

No dust filters.What can I use for a filter that wont restrict the intake air?

Contains no instructions-This is my first build

Do these cases use the older usb 1.1 connecters.I also dont see any audio or fire wire ports on the front of the case.

My mod Ideas:

I would like to remove the lower drive cage,so both 80's have unrestricted air intake.I plan on using 2 hard drive in my case.I figured I could buy a hdd cooler for the drives.

I know the both hard drive cages are removable,and I will be taking the lower cage out.I figure I will have to cut the hard drive support brackets(for the lower cage) so both fans will be exposed.

I will cut a 120mm blow hole for the top.

Side case fan-I dont think I"ll need one.It seems the side fans just make the air swirl around anyway.I should get plenty of intake from 2 unrestricted front mounted fans.

Sound proof material-not sure this will make a difference with all my fans.

I would like to hear from people that have modded these kind of cases.

I have that same case.

For filters pop off the front plastic and duct tape some "drier sheets" or cheap blue fiberglass furnance filter in there.

You don't really need .instructions for a case. But if you have any specific questions ask.

The conectors work with both usb 1 and 2.

I would just put your HDD's in the bottom rack. Two drives won't block much air, and it will be cheaper than buying a special cooler.

Don't cut out the rack. That way if you buy more drives you can have somewhere to put them.

Blow holes are nice.

I like my side fan. It directs air right at the graphics card. Cooling the ramsinks and feeding the heat sink fresh air.

Might I sudjest puting a side fan blowing right at your cpu. This will give you much better CPU temps, especialy if you duct it.

Sound proofing proably won't help. If you have a side window you can't put foam on that. The motherboard covers the other side. This leaves only the bottom and top for covering. I doubt covering them in foam would absorb enough noise to be noticeable.

I love the case, and have two. HERE

I have the case as well and it is built like a tank. Just full of Modding Potential and very hard to beat for the money. As for blowholes I have 3

NewCase6.JPG

I like that i have put in a 120mill exhaust fan at the top of the tower.

Decent Cases and i have had no issues with it.

I have an Antec which is the same cases but more expensive. I have used the chenming/chieftecs for many builds and they are awesome for the price.
$50-$60 for a bigass case I paid $100 for ...
great quality also.

Back