• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc to 10.4 temp 151c cpu poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dweller88

Registered
how do i creat a poll to find what one of these two cpus is better? noob on this forum help me out. SL6WF or sl7pk which is bettter cpu for high end gaming with air cooling oc.

sSpec Number
sl7pk

Processor Frequency
2.80E GHz

CPUID String
0F41H

Package Type
478 pin

Core Voltage
1.287V-1.400V

Bus Speed
533 MHz

Thermal Guideline
89.0W

Core Stepping
E0

Thermal Spec
69.1°C

L2 Cache Size
1 MB

Manufacturing Technology
90 nm

L2 Cache Speed
2.80 GHz

Bus/Core Ratio

sSpec Number
SL6WF

Processor Frequency
2.40 GHz

CPUID String
0F29h

Package Type
478 pin

Bus Speed
800 MHz

Thermal Guideline
66.2W

Core Stepping
D1

Thermal Spec
74°C

L2 Cache Size
512 KB

Manufacturing Technology
0.13 micron

L2 Cache Speed
2.40 GHz

Bus/Core Ratio

Last edited:
You posted the same thing twice.

SL6WF = Northwood 800FSB / 512k cache / HyperThreading

SL7PK = Prescott 533FSB / 1M cache

Personally I would take the Northwood to run cooler, and if you are lucky you might hit 3.5GHz / 1000FSB

You maybe able to overclock further with the Prescott, but more heat and power usage, could be possible to hit 4GHz overclock.
Both CPU's at 3.5GHz the Northwood would be the faster gaming chip.

Dweller88,

It is customary to only post once about your topic, and it is a good idea to keep your thread title in-line with what you are posting about (unless I'm missing something because "oc to 10.4 temp 151c cpu poll" doesn't make any sense to me. And if I'm wrong, I apologize). If a mod were to notice this (and they most likely will), they might consider it spam and give you a warning to avoid doing it again in the future. Incase you forgot where your last post was, it is HERE. You can also tell if you have posted in a thread if a yellow/orange dot appears on the left hand side of your thread in the main thread viewing area.

If you want a poll created, you will have to PM a Senior member (one with blue stars) or a Moderator (one with green stars) and kindly ask them if they could put up a poll for you.

Now, back on topic. Between the two CPUs I would suggest that you go with the SL6WF Northwood 2.4 as it has a higher FSB (giving it a speed boost over the sl7pk when overclocked to 2.8), Hyperthreading, and for the fact that it runs cooler. Even though the sl7pk has an extra 512meg of cache, the 2.4 Northwood compensates with its higher FSB. At their stock speeds though, the 2.8 Prescott would be faster due to 400MHz core speed outweighing an extra 400MHz FSB speed increase. The sl7pk also though contains SSE3 instructions while the Northwood does not, and therefore would run better on SSE3 optimized code, but as I do a search right now, I cannot find any games that would greatly benefit from this. Also, I must point out that clock for clock at these slower speeds, the Northwood will beat out the Prescott, and I must note that only when you have overclocked the chips to above 3.5GHz, will the Prescott begin to take a noticeable lead.

If you were to do a search on these forums, I can guarantee you that you can find a lot of information comparing a Prescott(sl7pk) to a Northwood(SL6WF). To get you started, here are a few threads I have found for you.

Raven

Edited for the record so no one gets confused or the wrong information.

Last edited:
i know also have this cpu to add to the mix

sSpec Number
SL6WK

Processor Frequency
3 GHz

CPUID String
0F29h

Package Type
478 pin

Bus Speed
800 MHz

Thermal Guideline
81.9W

Core Stepping
D1

Thermal Spec
70°C

L2 Cache Size
512 KB

Manufacturing Technology
0.13 micron

L2 Cache Speed
3 GHz

Bus/Core Ratio

I just did a search on the forums and came up with many threads that say the SL6WK is a good chip. You to can read up on these threads by just clicking the search button and searching for ' SL6WK '.

So now the question is which chip I would go for? Well, after doing a bit of forum searching, I came across a few threads HERE , and HERE which suggest that the 3.0 would be the way to go as many members on these forums were getting nice clocks with them. Some have even got this CPU up to 4.0GHz on air. But don't count on doing this because those chips that did 4.0GHz were lucky. The average overclock seems to be ~3.6GHz with this chip. If you would like to compare people's overclocks with these chips, you should go and take a look at the CPU Database found at www.overclockers.com.

Also, for your own piece of mind, I would do a search myself and find out as much as i can about these chips and their steppings. And just remember, the more you know...then the more you know..... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Well, since you are wanting to do a 30% overclock, it is still possible with a 3.0, but I think it would be more reasonable with a 2.8 since +30% of 3.0GHz is 3.9GHz and +30% of 2.8GHz is 3.64GHz.

Last edited:
2.8 1mb 533 over the 3.0 512 800
what if i was going for only 10% overclock?
and why does that change your pick other then the fact that it might not run that fast.

No, I meant that the 2.8 533MHz FSB w/o HT (Prescott) would be a better bet if you wanted a 30% overclock, and that was your only goal. The 3.0 would be a better choice over the 2.8 Prescott as it has HT, and a higher FSB.

The only reason I mentioned the 2.8GHz (Prescot) was because you said you wanted to do a 30% overclock, and a 30% overclock would have been more feasible on a 2.8GHz CPU. It is more likely that you will be able to run the 2.8 at 3.6 rather than a 3.0 at 3.9.

If you only wanted a 10% overclock then I would go for the 3.0 GHz + 10% = 3.3 GHz as it will run faster over a 2.8GHz + 10% = 3.1GHz (that's 2.8 * 1.1 = 3.1). This is because it is more likely that you would get 3.3 GHz from a 3.0. If you were wanting a 30% overclock, you would have more luck with a 2.8 (Prescott) as it wouldn't be required to go so high. Now, I know this seems contradictory, but this information should only be taken if your goal is for a 30% overclock and not a better performing chip.

If you are just wanting the highest overclock possible, then I would take my chances with the 3.0GHz 512meg 800MHz CPU as it tends to overclock higher than the 2.8.

Last edited:
O im sorry.. I have been staring at this computer screen almost all day.. I mistook the 2.4 to be a 2.8. My bad... but I have just edited what I posted so it makes sense. It should still be useful in helping you determine what type of overclock you would get.

So in that case, if you have the money, then I would go with the 3.0 Northwood as you will most likely get a higher overclock with it over the other chips and it will end up faster. While being a good chip, the 2.4 was more of a bargin chip than a 4.0 GHz performer. I would say that while being a good overclocker, the 3.0 would most likely be able to achieve higher speeds than the 2.4. The only advantage that the 2.4 would have would be a much higher FSB as a 2.4 has a 12x multiplier. If, say, the 3.0 and the 2.4 were to overclock to a max of 3.4GHz, the 2.4 would win because of the higher FSB. But, after doing a quick check on these forums, it looks like the SL6WF 2.4 will max out around 3.3 or 3.4 GHz. You have a better chance of getting a higher speed with the 3.0 GHz IMO.

I hope that clears a few things up for you.

Last edited:
well i skipped thur some of this and read the other thread. the only thing which i didnt see get said was that since this is a skt478 presshots stress the mosfets way to much as they need lots of power. i dont remember seeing as high a clocks with pressy vs northy. if you can always take the northy with HT over the pressy with out it. i did foldiing with my northy 3.0c @3.6 sl6wk 12capper on a AI7 with 2 folding instances. It could do more work with 2 instances running vs just 1, HT made the difference. as i tested the same thing on my older 2.4b@3ghz 2 clients vs 1 and the time it took for 2 doubled.

part of the point im tring to make here is that ocing with a pressy with or with out HT is going to stress you mobo alot, your better off going with a northwood core cpu and ocing it. i would suggest a pressy if you had lga775.....

use the 3ghz northwood on the lowend you should hit 3.6ghz to the high of 3.8ghz Batboy has one @3.8ghz on his AI7 on air, mine was on water @3.6ghz with 1.6v i had the water setup wrong so my load temps were 50-52c max with idle around 40c.

Sorry to bring this old thread to live but I have aquestion.

I have two CPUs. One is Prescott SL7E3(2.8 HT 800 FSB) and another is Nothwood SL6WF(2.4 HT 800 FSB). I also have MSI PT880-Neo SLR motherboard that I can safely OC to 230 FSB.

Which processor should I use?

Thanks

I'd use the prescott, personally.
400mhz faster stock and 14x multiplier should give you more performance.

What about temperature? Should I worry about it? People saying Northwood runs cooler.

Thanks

I have old AVC 117140 Sunflower Socket 478 Heatsink. Used to be pretty good. What do you think?

Back