• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bigger crt or lcd....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

i have a 17" CRT and i want to change it. i would like a 20" dell w/s (dont we all) but dont think ive got the cash. would a 20"+ CRT perform like a similar size LCD. i have the deskspace and it can handle the weight. can anyone think of a monitor good enough. i game alot and have just started with photoshop.

also. could i order parts from the US and get them shipped to the UK and use them. obviously our sockets are 230 where as yours are 110(?), but most LCD's use a converter so i could replace it......

I recently purchased a refurbished 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 CRT for $100. The actual screen size is 20". I personally, prefer the CRT over the LCD's that I have in my house. It is not as easy on the eyes but the picture is bright and crisp. The blacks are black rather than LCD gray. Both Mitsubishi/Nec's and Sony Trinitrons have excellent CRT's which can be had for reasonable prices. I think a CRT would serve you better in photoshop.

i have a 17" CRT and i want to change it. i would like a 20" dell w/s (dont we all) but dont think ive got the cash. would a 20"+ CRT perform like a similar size LCD. i have the deskspace and it can handle the weight. can anyone think of a monitor good enough. i game alot and have just started with photoshop.
Long story short, yes. Since space is not a concern, most definately. Some good brands of CRT of which I have tried include LG's Flatron, Sony's Trinitron and Mitsubishi's Diamondtron. As a point of personal preference, I prefer the Flatron due to the massive amounts of shielded glass between the back and front of the screen which helps with eyestrain and it's inherit sharpness.

also. could i order parts from the US and get them shipped to the UK and use them. obviously our sockets are 230 where as yours are 110(?), but most LCD's use a converter so i could replace it......
It depends on any number of things, such as whether or not the converter is external for one. If it is, then yeah I guess it can be replaced; if it isn't..well yeah. I haven't heard of any CRTs which come with a power select on the back, sorry.

If I were you, I would go with LCD for gaming. I just love how sexy most of them are.

lcd for gameing if you can get a fairly top of the line model. i love mine and its crystal clear but only a 17 inch or 19 i dont know lol. i should mesure it lol.

17 and 19" LCDs are IMHO dumb for gaming. The 5:4 resolution offers a disadvantage compared to 4:3 and 16:10 in a lot of games. (you can't see as much horizontaly, limiting your field of view).

I love LCD's, but if you can't afford a 2005fpw then I would get one of those 24" widescreen CRT's...they're like 200-250 IIRC.

I'm in the market as well and it seems like Dell & Samsung are the top choices... is widescreen the best option? I know crap about displays. I can afford the 2005fpw and it looks nice. I will be gaming, but it will be only 10-15% of the time... so I want a nice gaming display but that's not my paramount concern. I want the best/high quality forward compatible LCD... going widescreen seems to lend itself to forward compatibility.

Any further suggestions? ...or is the 2005fpw the best damn 20" LCD widescreen I can buy? :shrug:

Go with the CRT, unless space is an issue. I still prefer CRT's over LCD's although compared to let's say 5 years ago LCD's have come a long long way. I can get a 21/22/24 Inch CRT Monitor (Even Widecreen) for under $250 that is amazing for gaming/editing/etc. Cheap price and top peformance can't go wrong.

Would an LCD not be easier on my eyes... I have very serious eye issues which CRT monitors don't seem to help. I haven't ever used an LCD extensively so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I understand that they're easier on the eyes.

Yes, I have the space for whatever... but I was really aiming @ LCD.

edit: where can such a CRT (24" widescreen) be bought for $200-250?

I prefer CRT's, I get a headache after staring at the LCD at work for 10 hours a day. I like my 21" IBM monitor that I've had for a few years. The housing is kinda messed up, been knocked around a bit still works great! No to mention, it weighs like 60 pounds, gotta love that. A real cat crusher!!!

harlam357 said:
Would an LCD not be easier on my eyes... I have very serious eye issues which CRT monitors don't seem to help. I haven't ever used an LCD extensively so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I understand that they're easier on the eyes.

Yes, I have the space for whatever... but I was really aiming @ LCD.

edit: where can such a CRT (24" widescreen) be bought for $200-250?

eBay Sony GDM-FW900 CRT 24Inch (Widescreen Monitor 16x10). If I wasn't so damn strapped for cash currently I would pick one up Lmao. Oh man that would be sweet.

I'm not sure why you would have eye issues other then screwed up eyesight or running the monitor at a really low Refresh Rate.

ajrettke said:
I love LCD's, but if you can't afford a 2005fpw then I would get one of those 24" widescreen CRT's...they're like 200-250 IIRC.

And about 200-250 pounds.

I'd look for a Mitsubishi DP2070SB, NEC FP2141SB, Viewsonic P225fB, etc. Anything that can handle 2048x1536@75Hz, preferably 85Hz. You have a graphics card that can handle many games at those resolutions, so go for it. Unless you want to spring for a Dell 3007WFP, which is probably way out of your budget. I'd only buy an LCD from some place where I could have some kind of assurance of zero defective pixels (whether I had to resort to dishonesty to get that or not), though.

Edit: To those recommending the 24" Sony CRT...anyone have experience with what graphics cards support that resolution? I might consider that myself if this one ever fries.

I'd stay away from most of those refurb monitors, the picture geometry & uniformity is **** on 95% of them, that is why they sell for so cheap. Buyer beware especially on eBay or anywhere online rather. I'm not particularly fond of lcds, as others have noted, the colour reproduction is laudable in comparison to a crt, and responses are pathetic. acceptable LCDs can be had for $400.00. A good GDM-FW900 will set you back ~1000+, the unused ones are still worth retail ($2500). You might get lucky and find a good one, but the likelihood is small, buying a LCD is playing it safe. I paid 370 shipped for my 2005fpw. I can't say its blown me away but it certainly is better than the **** crts you can get nowadays for ~200.

Any recent games will strain even at 1680 x 1050 on a ~400 dollar card. 2048x1536 is strictly out of the question unless you like 25 fps avg 14 min on a 7800 gtx, give yourself 30% on the x1900xtx :) Most monitors which support those resolutions don't even have a 1 triad per pixel so the result is a terrible looking image anyway.

SuperFarStucker said:
I'd stay away from most of those refurb monitors, the picture geometry & uniformity is **** on 95% of them, that is why they sell for so cheap. Buyer beware especially on eBay or anywhere online rather.
While I am also leary of refurbished products, there are several online venders with solid reseller ratings. I got mine at azatek.com. Many of these monitors are just from large scale corporate rentals or trade ins, that are not defective. The price is cheap because they have depreciated. It's like buying a used Lexus. The price is much cheaper than new, not because it's defective but due to depreciation. Is it like new? No, but if it's in excellent condition then I really don't mind.

Back