• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How loud is the Sonata II's power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

I'm about ready to buy a Sonata II, but I wanted to know if anyone here was still using the power supply it came with, and how loud (or quiet) it is.
Thanks!

the 500w is not that quiet. I may just have a noisy fan or what not. It depends on what it is powering though. And your noise tolerance level.

I've got a P4 630 running at 4GHz in one with a 6600GT. The fan always runs at minumum speed. It's very quiet. The supply is a good one.

wattage doesn't really have anything to do with volume..

my 550w is always near silent as well.

Silent PC Review recommends this it!

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article260-page1.html

The SmartPower 2.0 is a good choice for use in a quiet system as long as power requirements are not too heavy. Its noise floor is close to that of our low noise reference, the Seasonic S12, and it is considerably cheaper. That said, it cannot compare to the noise level of the S12 at high loads in a typical high-end system. Although they start out at the same noise level and even stay close to level, beyond around 150W output, the SmartPower gets noisier more quickly and at a lower temperature than the Seasonic. The low noise of the SmartPower 2.0 at low levels can be attributed to the intelligent flow-through airflow design that cools it very effectively.

Back