• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FTP Server in Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

two_dope2000

Is there anyway that i can run an FTP server in windows? I have a 1.5m connection and any of you at overclockers is free to use it if it's even possible. I have plenty of machines that i could use but i dont have any hardrives at all due to some of expirements of mine :eek: So I only have 1 of my two machines to use, niether of which can be dedicated but im not on much and my pc's on 24/7.

Any suggestions would be cool

yes you can

but someone else will have to tell you how sense Ive have tryed and have never got one to work

there are alot of programs that will do it though

Well, if it's Win2K Server or Advanced Server yyou can use the FTP server that's built into IIS. It's not for beginners, however.

I would use something like Serv-U FTP server. Very simple to use and setup. It's not free but is cheap and has a trial version out so you can try before you buy.

you can try using serv-u ftp or bulletproof ftp
they are both very easy to setup

also if you have win2k any version it's possible to setup some kind of ftp but i dun think there are many options in win2k pro

war ftp

I used war ftp when i was messing around with a ftp server. I had to take it down due to at home giving me on average bandwidth less than a 56k modem.

war ftp is pretty easy to use and runs as a service under win2k. oh and it is free btw.

Josh

WAR FTP demon is free and easy to set up.

I've useded servu as well. It is an excellent choice. But I think you have to shell out about 30 for reg after 15 days.

Jon said:
Well, if it's Win2K Server or Advanced Server yyou can use the FTP server that's built into IIS. It's not for beginners, however.

I would use something like Serv-U FTP server. Very simple to use and setup. It's not free but is cheap and has a trial version out so you can try before you buy.

Word....

I use G6 server and it is extremely easy and very self explanatory. What exactly did you have a question about the ftp. It is defiantly possible mine is running right now.

Jon said:

Sure it is. A blind, epileptic monkey w/ a hangover could run IIS. I'm not kidding!

two_dope2000 said:
I have a 1.5m connection.......

all well and good, but what is your uploadl bandwidth?

most US cable ISPs limit the u/l bandwidth to 128kbps, so it pretty much maxes out at 15KB/s. but if your lucky youll have at least some u/l bandwidth(im lucky, mine can go up to 80KB/s:)).

u/l is what counts here, when running any kind of server. so check and see if youve got the bandwidth to handle it.

also, some cable ISPs dont allow any servers, if they find out they will ask you to stop or face disconnection(i dunno how easy it is for them to find out though.....).

Back