• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not all 920's are created Equal!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
OMG this chip sucks!! :)

Well 265 fsb is all ic an do and keep it stable. and it took 1.425 vcore to get it there!!!! At this speed and vcore it runs pcmark 04 (7500 score) and dual prime has been running for 2hours now. Anything above this FSb and it just wont run. I pushed it to 1.5 vcore and it would not boot over 285 fsb.

Bottom line this is just a bum chip! Temps are good though. 35c idol and 48c dual prime load at the 265/1.425 settings. This new watercooling setup is great!

No it's not my power supply: I have a PCP&C 510E. No it's not my ram dividers, I tried numerous settings. It is just a dud for overclocking.

On a positive note it gets some decent scores at 3.7ghz. Just not godd enough for me!

Ill post some pics in a bit, but obviously nothing to be excited about!

Last edited:
D'oh, sorry to hear about your disappointment. Especially when a lot of the 920's seem to be doing pretty well...

Better luck!

Sorry man...I guess they can't all be winners, but this does make me a little nervous about buying one. It seems like we were on a roll for a second :eh?:

Alchemy1 said:
Sorry man...I guess they can't all be winners, but this does make me a little nervous about buying one. It seems like we were on a roll for a second :eh?:

This one had same pack date as D94's also!

Sorry to hear that surf! I was considering buying one also, well i was going to try a 930. Getting rid of my 661 and getting back to dual core. :)

dylskee said:
Sorry to hear that surf! I was considering buying one also, well i was going to try a 930. Getting rid of my 661 and getting back to dual core. :)

Dude.. Just did the same thing. Gave Tiger Direct a sob story on my OEM 661 and they creditted me for the full sale. 930 Retail is on the way..

Surf, Maybe things need to settle in... Don't throw in the towel yet...Can't believe such a big difference in D94s chip and yours

Sorry to hear that surf! I was considering buying one also, well i was going to try a 930. Getting rid of my 661 and getting back to dual core
I was just thinking today about selling the 661 and getting another Presler! I was going to buy a Presler in addtion to the 661, but I just spent a boatload of $$ on a vid card, so now I have to choose one or the other :( I kind of want to wait until EIST/LockFree is back, but I kind of don't want to wait too :shrug:

Well my 651 had some serious thermal problems, but the thing ran 10X better this 920. It is very dissappointing. I will probably toss it up on Ebay and see what I can for it.

Ross said:
I was just thinking today about selling the 661 and getting another Presler! I was going to buy a Presler in addtion to the 661, but I just spent a boatload of $$ on a vid card, so now I have to choose one or the other :( I kind of want to wait until EIST/LockFree is back, but I kind of don't want to wait too :shrug:

If my 661 ran like yours, I would have kept it... You got a good one, give me a PM if you want to sell it

I was reading one of your posts on the video section on the x1900.
7:00 Liked the card, no funds
8:00 Too expensive, will wait
9:00 It's in the cart
11:00 On the way

LOL

josh478 said:
mine is a dud too im thinking... i cant even keep my temps under 70c at 3.7

You need to lap it:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440080

Hey proth, how long did tigerdirect take to respond to your email? I also gave them my sob story for a credit but haven't received any response yet.

proth said:
If my 661 ran like yours, I would have kept it... You got a good one, give me a PM if you want to sell it

LOL

You need to lap it:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440080

yeah, i just saw that. i might do that when i take everything out for the watersetup. it doesnt look TOO hard.

Yeah, that was a rough day...Egg window was open all day long with it in the checkout screen, LOL. I'll PM you in a minute :)

Surfrat said:
OMG this chip sucks!! :)

Well 265 fsb is all ic an do and keep it stable. and it took 1.425 vcore to get it there!!!! At this speed and vcore it runs pcmark 04 (7500 score) and dual prime has been running for 2hours now. Anything above this FSb and it just wont run. I pushed it to 1.5 vcore and it would not boot over 285 fsb.

Bottom line this is just a bum chip! Temps are good though. 35c idol and 48c dual prime load at the 265/1.425 settings. This new watercooling setup is great!

No it's not my power supply: I have a PCP&C 510E. No it's not my ram dividers, I tried numerous settings. It is just a dud for overclocking.

On a positive note it gets some decent scores at 3.7ghz. Just not godd enough for me!

Ill post some pics in a bit, but obviously nothing to be excited about!
Just read this again. You have the same problem I had with the 661. It would do 264-265 rock stable but never 265 no matter what voltage I hit it with. The 265 is on the edge of 1066fsb and may be triggerring something to switch into 1066 mode in the mb hardware, noise, etc..??? I never figured it out. Why don't you set it @ 300 and try to blow right by it.

Last edited:
isp said:
You sure it's not the mem holding you back or something else?

I am 100% positive. I know what my memory can do, but just to be sure I lowered the clocks way down on it and lossened the timings. This is just a 920 that was actually binned correctly. hehe.. 2.8ghz, Intel was dead on!

proth said:
Just read this again. You have the same problem I had with the 661. It would do 264-265 rock stable but never 265 no matter what voltage I hit it with. The 265 is on the edge of 266fsb and may be triggerring something to switch into 1066 mode in the mb hardware, noise, etc..??? I never figured it out. Why don't you set it @ 300 and try to blow right by it.

I actually tried 275, 285, and 300. All with a vcore of 1.45 or higher! Nadda!

dylskee said:
Hey proth, how long did tigerdirect take to respond to your email? I also gave them my sob story for a credit but haven't received any response yet.

Well, I actually talked to them and had everything set for the credit. Then the guy had to get approval from,.....HIS MANAGER (ut oh)... Now he comes back and says he can't do it because I never bought a HSF with the OEM unit and in the small print, it says you must. So I sobbed, and sobbed, and begged, and he said he can only give me a replacement as long as I buy a HSF.. So I say yes..

2 days go by and I see that he set up an order for the same 661 this time with a HSF, pending customer confirmation(me)

I called today and this time spoke with sales, and asked to change the order to a 930 retail, she said no problem. Asked about the RMA refund still being vailid, she said yes.

My pack date on this new 920 is 1/14/06 - runs like a champ.

I am at 4.2Ghz on 1.45V. Been trying to make this system crash since this afternoon with no luck :)

The store I bought it from has 22 more in stock - let me know if you want me to pick one up for ya :)

For a small nominal fee of course :p

Back