• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abominable Chenming - [Watercooled Tower]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son1990

The Project:
Custom enclousers are cool and very fun to make. It ends up being cheaper however, to buy your own case and then mod it to your desired needs and functionality. My parents, for the holidays, blessed me
with this awsome server tower case from Chenming. I decided it would be the perfect case to have on O.C.R.A. and brainstorming began. It seemed fit to not make a new case for school is still in progress and my grades are gradually slipping (except my graphic app's class). This will be the case for my main rig untill the end of the year. Im pretty much wingin it for this project and will do things as they come to me!

The Case:
Here are pictures of the case.
ac1.jpg

ac2.jpg

ac3.jpg

ac4.jpg

Here is a concept pic of what the bezel will look like (thanks Slug):
ac0.jpg

Last edited:
Basically the main idea is to flip the case upside down. A little wacky but here are pics of the case flipped over.

ac5.JPG

ac6.JPG

ac7.JPG

Today I started painting the side panels. The case color scheme will be outside black, inside red with a few black accents.

ac93.JPG

First coat
ac91.JPG

Second coat
ac92.JPG

As you may have noticed the hard drive cages were removed to accomadate the BIX2

Last edited:
Well I started work on the bezels today. I first cut out the parts that will be replaced with acrylic and alum. Then I primed and wet-sanded them with 1k grit sandpaper. They are curretly drying and will be coated with 3 layers of black paint then one gloss/laquer layer.

I can continue and finish up the rest of the case painting after the paint has set and had a curing (sp?) time of up to 2 weeks.
"But Ken? Why 2 weeks" you ask. Well, I will be giving my case a mirror like finish and by following the instructions on this (http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-computer-pc-case-mod-how-to.html) guide, thats what I need to do. I still need to start work on the inner drive bezel, but that can wait.

And now of course, the pictures:
ac8.JPG

ac9.JPG

LOOKIN GOOD! So you're going to replace some of the frotn bezel with acryllic? Sounds leet. That Quick Color paint is really thin. Be careful with it.

Today I put the first and second coat onto the bezels. There was a slight problem with the first coat on the bottom panel but both were re-wetsanded with 800 and 1k grit sandpaper and then a second coat applied. Now all is going famously. I need to go out and get some more spray paint soon tho.

Below are also shots of the side panels. You can see how well the mirror finish is coming along. The 2 week countdown cure time began on friday so be patient. You can see a few globs on the second panel but those will be wetsanded off in 2 weeks.

I will be working on the inner bezel when I get more paint. My drill is still broken so that will be another thing I need to buy :( Pictures as always:

ac98.JPG

ac99.JPG

WOO HOO! This is a freaking awesome case and an even more awesome idea/mod! I can't wait to see this thing come together!!!!
Nice paint job too ;)
*subscribed*

Threads with no pictures should be deleted. I've been seeing this a lot lately on this site :shrug:

JEmlay said:
Threads with no pictures should be deleted. I've been seeing this a lot lately on this site :shrug:

Dreamhost is having some downtime. Be patient.

Oh, ok. So they do in fact exist somewhere and they are just down? In other cases I've seen non-existant images for weeks.

In this case, nevermind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back