• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for some advice on what mobo to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MJ12trooper

Registered
hello everybody.

been a long time since I have posted on here {had to make new user name}

here is my problem I have a 9600 pro agp video card and I know it sucks
I was going to buy a new card but I really want the X800GTO2 because it's an awsome card for OC'ing

my mobo only has an AGP slot and I have a socket A 2600+

what would be a good mobo to get im kinda on a budget

it's been ahwile since I upgraded my system so I have no clue what is good and whats not when it comes to mobo's and cpu's

also any good mobo's out there with AGP and pci-e slots?

also posted in the cpu section about what processor to get
thought i would post here to get more info about the motherboard since I didn't know if it would get seen much in there

looking to spend 300-450$ for both mobo and cpu together

What are you going to need on your mobo, there is a asrock mobo that has both pci-e and agp slots which many users have been using, the only drawback that I've seen is that it has a relatively low vcore of 1.45v. It will depend on how much are you looking to overclock your cpu and which cpu you are looking into to get an idea of of the budged.

well a board with agp and pce-e sounds really great

as for the low v-core I dont plan on overclocking that far right now and I dont like to mess with voltage much, {right now my 2600 is running 2.18 GHz}
im also still kinda waiting to see what cpu seems good for oc'ing possibly this one.........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103486

what kinda memory it take and how much of it?

All current a64 use DDR ram, so anything that is rated at pc3200 should be good, but there are some that have tighter timming and others that will run at higher speeds so it depends how much you want to spend and how fast do you run the memory, and what you are going to use it for.

this is the mobo that I was talking about.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Don't get the cpu you linked, it is the wrong socket and older core that doesn't overclock as high as newer cores, this is what you want instead, there is a a 3700+ that has a larger cache that might be better for you since you are not planning to overclock too high.

thanks soooo much ur awsome :) so great that I can keep using my good old 1 gig of 3200

Last edited:
Back