• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kinda lost here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NotHisTechiness

ok i've been trying to fix my friend's computer because it keep freezing whenever he plays any type of game or uses any type of 3d acceleration. I got it to work for a little while but it went stratight to the dung heap in an hour. I know it's not a heat problem cause he's sitting at 34 full load. I think it's ram but i'm not sure. Need help on this and thanks in advance

these are his specs
300 watt psu
intel 800mhz
hercules gts2 32mb
live platinum
western 30 gig hd
plex 12x8x32
16x dvd drive
some asus board
512fry's ram and 128 unknown

Have you tried SiSoft Sandra 2001 to check the components one by one to see what the problem is? Basically do a component check until it shows up. It could also be the AGP Aperture size set too high for his system.

try the vid - drivers? is it oc'd? if so - slow it down a hair.

maybe the vid is too much for the monitor... there are a lot of variables at play here.

no oc or anything, everything is running stock and there shouldn't be a problem with the monitor it's a 19' view sonic. if he gives me permission then i'm gonna start messing with the hardware, i'll keep you guys and gals posted

NotHisTechiness said:
no oc or anything, everything is running stock and there shouldn't be a problem with the monitor it's a 19' view sonic. if he gives me permission then i'm gonna start messing with the hardware, i'll keep you guys and gals posted

works for me - i am curious as to the cuase.

try disabling agp fast writes in the bios, and agp sidebanding, and if that doesnt work try running at 2X agp....

funnyperson1 said:
try disabling agp fast writes in the bios, and agp sidebanding, and if that doesnt work try running at 2X agp....

i agreee with that.
take a look at other PCI settings like "PCI to DRAM prefetch".. disable it if nothing works. also, if your video memory cache is set to USWC try using UC. u can find all this into the chip configuration in BIOS. Good luck.

ok, i'm really up the wall on this one and it's really bothering my friend and i. it's not irq because we took out everything and it still froze, it's not ram cause we switched it with mine, it's not his video card cause we switched it with mine, and i've done all the bios stuff all to no avail. i really don't know what it could be so my only guess is either his board f ried some how and/or his cpu. any new ideas people? thanks in advanced again.

I've seen this happen when the operating system has registry errors. When was the last time the harddrive has been reformatted and Windows reinstalled? That's the next step in my book.

Check all of the IDE/ATA/SCSI type cables for damage/crimping. It could be crosstalk in the cables. Last ditch effort, format and re-install the OS. Absolutely last ditch effort, send the mobo back for RMA.

can't be a windows error, we reinstalled twice and the last time it wasn't too long ago, maybe a week or two. temps are fine, he has a wbk, arctic silver, and 4 fans. oh well, guess i'll have to tell him to rma his board. thanks for all the help it's been greatly appreciated:D

Back