• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with booting winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thanat0s

This problem isn't deathly urgent or anything, but whenever I load up winXP and get to the loading screen, I sit there and wait for the bar to scroll through 28 times. I just upgraded my PC, I now run an amd 3000 64, 2 gigs g.skill ram pc3200, nvidia 6800gs video card, enermax 420 psu, dfi ultra-d mobo.

If anyone has help with this little annoyance, I'd be grateful! :bang head

After upgrading your rig did you perform a clean install of XP, or is this the same install as was present with your old hardware?

Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Under the "Boot.ini" tab of the System Configuration Utility, put a check next to /BOOTLOG and click OK | On next reboot a file called Ntbtlog.txt will be created in the Windows directory. The log file may be able to help lead you in a direction in which to look regarding your slow boot problems. This is only used for troubleshooting, as the generated log file will keep increasing in size after each subsequent reboot...so make sure to uncheck the /BOOTLOG option after you determine you don't need to continue logging.

The following MSKB articles may also be of some help to you...

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

Thanat0s said:
This problem isn't deathly urgent or anything, but whenever I load up winXP and get to the loading screen, I sit there and wait for the bar to scroll through 28 times. I just upgraded my PC, I now run an amd 3000 64, 2 gigs g.skill ram pc3200, nvidia 6800gs video card, enermax 420 psu, dfi ultra-d mobo.

If anyone has help with this little annoyance, I'd be grateful! :bang head
Did you remove the floppy drive? Ifso, did you change the boot sequence for reflect that it was no longer there?

Back