• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna try some folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brakezone

my gateway system on my network is way too powerful for just routing. Basically its an athlon xp 1800 DLT3C @ 2ghz. Its load average for the little services it provides are practically zero so I am going to try folding on it a bit and see how it works out. Its running freebsd, I tried running the linux folding version and it worked on freebsd no sweat; however, I also could use the wine version. I have heard that people use wine for folding on linux so I started out with wine. Anybody know which would be faster or more reliable?

Oh I also installed 4 service processes on a machine at school with permission. Its a duel xeon w hyperthreading @ 3ghz. I put them both for brakezone on team 32. I left the computer on when I left the lab but I don't know if the lab teacher turned it off or what.

Thanks, hopefully i'll be able to keep this running awhile. Anybody know if i should use the linux version running in linux compatability mode or wine version?

brakezone said:
Thanks, hopefully i'll be able to keep this running awhile. Anybody know if i should use the linux version running in linux compatability mode or wine version?
There are advantages and disadvantages to each way. Running it in wine will take more RAM than running it normally, and I also noticed that my computer would lag more in games with it running under wine. However, you will get much better ppd (points per day) out of Tinkers (a type of work unit using the Tinker core) with it running under wine. Other work units seem pretty close to the Windows client.

I personally just stick with using it under Linux without wine; when I used FreeBSD I used it in Linux compatibility mode.
:welcome: to the Team!

I think i'll stick with wine then cause this computer is just providing network services that a 386 could probably handle.

thanks everybody :)

Okay, I havn't turned in any units yet because I wanted to run some stability test on the computer that will be running foh. After all that its been running awhile and is at 93% currently. That system is just an athlon xp @ 2ghz.

I have borged 2 systems at my school in my computer lab, both duel xeons 3ghz with hyperthreading. One of them people keep messing with and turning off unfortunately, but the other one is kinda hidden in the corner so hopefully it will be left on lol. I should actuallly turn in my first unit in a hour or two.

brakezone said:

Okay, I havn't turned in any units yet because I wanted to run some stability test on the computer that will be running foh. After all that its been running awhile and is at 93% currently. That system is just an athlon xp @ 2ghz.

I have borged 2 systems at my school in my computer lab, both duel xeons 3ghz with hyperthreading. One of them people keep messing with and turning off unfortunately, but the other one is kinda hidden in the corner so hopefully it will be left on lol. I should actuallly turn in my first unit in a hour or two.

nice! Team 32 is getting a lot of new power, hopefully we can start gaining on OCAU again in the near future :shrug:

brakezone said:

:welcome: to team ... 3 WU's already! :beer: :beer:

Thanks again,

I had to rework the home system, because a problem with wine none of the units that my home system had done were actually being sent in. I've got it started on the linux version now and I lowered the clock speed some in order for stability (just in case). Somebody interrupted one of the systems I had at school, which prevented it from working for some time. I borged another machine ^^ and turned that one back on. I'm hoping that finally getting this home system going + having 3 possible systems running at school (all duel xeons 3ghz) will actually start netting me some units.

For some reason the wine version would do the entire unit and then fail to send the unit in and delete it immediately :shrug: , so the 2 units it had done were wasted.

Back