• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Verizon Wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

(i apologize in advance if this is far from belonging here)

i think they suck. do not believe the overly hyped commercials.

ive had them for a few years now and this past year theyve been screwing me. ive had numerous problems with them. specifically tech support:

- concerning billing location addresses being in California, not New Jersey (where i live)

- screwups between their wireless and localphone business ( i have both )

- their "best network" propoganda is a load. ive gotten dropped calls in my own house, and had less bars compared to some of my friends in several locations.

- sometimes when ive left voicemail or TXT messages, the person never gets it or gets it way late. and vice versa.

- they are charging me $45per extra line that i got for my wife's parents. instead of $10. turns out there was this "activation" fee i was never told about.

- they deactivated my phone for NO reason. after it was just activated 2 days ago. and then it was suddenly working the day after that.

- their website is slow, poorly structured and someone even somehow breached whatever security they have and got into my account and changed the username and password to something i know ive never used.

cellphone companies blow. they have this country by the balls. you get charged a ton for cancelling a contract early and even a fee for switching phones (even to another you already own.)

what cellphone service do you guys have and how satisfied are you with them?

It must depend on your area...

Verizon is awesome ive had them for 3-4 years myself and have never had a dropped call, as far as technical support.. if my phone has ever had a problem they do a instore swap out for a new one. Their phone selection is among the best. Theres a activation fee for every cell phone carrier, per line, get over it.

Verizon is amazing round here. I hear it really depends on your area. I wouldn't say they suck, you just don't live int he greatest place for verizion. But they have been nothing but excellent for me for, hmmm, about last 5 years.

I've had good luck with Verizon. I usually get better reception than my friends who are on sprint. I've called in a few times for billing support and have always had pretty good luck.

ive had cingular, sprint, and verizon, so far i must say i have the best reception with verizon, i guess over here in the west coast they are really good. Never had an issue with billing or drop calls or anything. Sprint is good too, but i had more dead spots with sprint than verizon. cingular just plain sucked for me, bad reception in many areas. although i must say that Verizon has the crappiest selection of phones, and they get the decent phones like a year after everyone else. For east coast, i heard Tmobile is actaually really good.

Used Veizon for the last year, and they have been great. I think I have had maybe 1 or 2 dropped calls the entire time. (Driving out of signal in "BFE"). Best part is their call plan. Nearly all of my family and friends have Verizon, so free in-calls simply rock. Its cheap as hell if you dont make many out of network calls, even then there are loads of Minute plans.

Thumbs up from me. :thup:

I have had the best luck with Verizon out here in the St. Louis Area, I have had them for 3 years now, Their tech support has always been great the couple times I have been on the phone with them and that was only when activating my old standby phone. If you are having reception problems, your phone has a lot to do with that, I have found that the Motorolas get the best signal for me could be different in your area due to equipment used in the towers. Only time i have problems with text messages not getting to people in a timely manner is when i goto send to a phone of another carrier, Cingular is the worst can take up to 2 to 3 hours. Nextel (which my g/f has) takes anywhere from 5minutes to 2 hours. Sprint ussually 5 minutes. When I even got onto a cell contract i spent 6 months doing research and talking to people about their cell phones and determined my best bet was to go either Verizon or Nextel, I have had too many friends get screwed by Sprint by them adding roaming and long distance charges to the bill when they are paying to not get that in the first place. and Cingular screwed a friend of mine over in the worst way, Her b/f ran her bill up way high and she lost her job and when she got the bill she asked them to place her account on hold while she paid it off, They just canceled her 2 months before her contract ended without confirmation causing her to have to pay $200 deactivation fee plus her $400 bill and it really messed up her credit. And on that Note, I had lost my job and was on unemployment for 3 months a year or so ago and I called Verizon and told them my situation and they placed my account on hold with no issues and once i got a job again i had them turn my account back on and started using it like nothing happened, and it was like i had 3 free months, my date for getting a new phone wasnt pushed back, and the date for renewal wasnt pushed back either, Just didnt have a phone or a bill for 3 months.

I Use T-Mobile and cant remember when I had a droped call..I pay 49.99 for 3000 anytime minutes and have zero complaints . .

Yeah as synthetic mentioned it has alot to do with the phone, if you got a cheapy phone, expect problems. I always get Motorolas and never have had a prob... my current phone is a V710. Going to pick a RaZr v3c in the near future....(or better)

depends where you live, i'm near a large telecommm antena, when people with cell phone from various providers(sprint, t-mobile, verizon, etc) get near, all calls are dropped.

outside of the antena range verizon is the best for this area, i know in other areas sprint is better.

as for you land phone issues, that sucks, i think you have a good reason to state that "they suck".

do you have copies of all your paperwork?

Nathan0490 said:
Yeah as synthetic mentioned it has alot to do with the phone, if you got a cheapy phone, expect problems. I always get Motorolas and never have had a prob... my current phone is a V710. Going to pick a RaZr v3c in the near future....(or better)

Its too bad we cant get the Samsung A900 that sprint has, Same dimensions as the RAZR but has removable memory and a headset jack, which are the two shortcomings of the razr. But i have the next model up from you, the Motorola E815, short that the first one i got went bad, Verizon replaced it as soon as I came to them with problems, but I get really good signal and im 7 miles from a tower and in a basement.

I've been with Cingular a while...never had a dropped call txts get through nearly instantly good customer service ect. i'd recommend them.

i have nextel now and i love em, and i had verizon before them

i can only remember the $1100 bill i got for a 700 minute phone call

they tried to convince me that my phone made a call while in my pocket, i simply said, who the hell would have stay on the line for almost 12 hours?!??!

the service with verizon was better i have to admit, but the customer service/problems i had with them arent enough to compensate.

nextel/sprint ftw!

Nathan0490 said:
Theres a activation fee for every cell phone carrier, per line, get over it.

they, along with any business...are obligated to inform you of all charges that you will be held accountable for.

you obviously didnt read that part of my post too well.

I have Verizon and cingular at this moment and had nextel, alltel, and t-mobil in last 15 months.( my father in law owns cell phone store)
One thing that i can say Location is only thing that matter.

In general all of the companys do great job, you just have to find provider that is strong in your area.

if you like>>Send me a PM with your Zip code and minutes plan that you are looking for and i ask my FiL for info.

SteveLord said:
they, along with any business...are obligated to inform you of all charges that you will be held accountable for.

you obviously didnt read that part of my post too well.

They do in the contract you sign, you should read things a bit more carefully.

I've been with Verizon for 5 years, and have never had a bad experience with them. I wish they charged less for minutes over your limit, but I could always step up to a higher plan.

They are the only carrier that services my home town, so I don't have much of a choice. However, I have been happy with their coverage every that I've traveled.

Nathan0490 said:
They do in the contract you sign, you should read things a bit more carefully.

bad salesman...on top of consuming 2.5 hours of my night there. and i was nice and patient about it too. just like i was when i talked to one of verizon's supervisors over the phone and sucked up all their apologies for my experience and how it was wrong for them not to inform me of all of the charges.

Back