• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing riddle you WILL NOT solve.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Alright I'm stumped. Check my sys config below and see if you can lend me a hand.

My 1.4g Tbird w/200mhz FSB WILL NOT be overclocked for some reason.:mad: I change the FSB speed: no POST until CMOS is discharged. I change the multiplier: no POST until CMOS is cleared.

Now I know the 1.2+g AMD CPUs aren't locked but I penciled the L1s anyway just to see and still no POST. Just the blank monitor and whirring fans. The only way this thing will even show the vid card info on the monitor (1st thing to come up) is if it's set to 1400(100) in the softmenuIII setup program.

If somebody can tell me how to get by this I'd be more than happy to try it. PLEASE HELP ME.

btw- changing voltages works fine. I know I've posted something about this once before a while ago but no help yet and I'm getting antsy!

What is the stepping of your chip? If you got one of the few 1.4GHz 200FSB CPUs then there is a chance that the multiplier is locked. If it is then try a conductive ink pen instead of a pencil. What BIOS are you running? I think you will need the 4J BIOS for anything higher than 1.4GHz. Have you tried to set it at 10.5 X 133MHz/266FSB yet? What are your BIOS settings in THE SOFT MENU 3? Check here for more details on the BIOS.

well if it is a 100/200 chip then it will default at 14x100 correct, ok that is all good, but you want it to 10.5x133 i assume, well while penciling in the bridges will let u change the multiplier IF you do it right, and it is pretty easy, it still will not let u raise the FSB it is 1 100bus chip, not a 133, and that is what the board is set to run-a 100/200 bus speed, to get it to boot at 10.5x133, you need to see if there is a jumper on the board to set it to 100 or 133 bus speed, on my epox 8kha if u set it to 100 it will boot at 13x100, if i set it to the 133 jumper it boots at 10x133, and then the multiplier & FSb is both adjustable, right now even IF you succed in connecting the bridges to up the multiplier, i doubt it wil even boot at 15x100, yes 1500 mhz is in no way out of spec, but that Multiplier is too high id say, its much easier to get there by goint 10x150. So id put the multiplier on the backburner for noe9if you succed good if dont no bigge)but set BIOS of Board to the 133 settings instead of the 100 setting in which is souns like it is set. Then itll boot default at 10.5x133 and u can raise the FSB till the mem gives out. With that mem, at a 1.85vcore and 2.7-2.9for mem volts you shold be aboe to get 10.5x150 or higher, try that and ill try to help more if i can

No kidding!! Take that peltier off there!! It also might be sucking power, so you can't even post because the CPU can't get enough juice. One of the first steps to solving a problem is remove any unecessary frills.

I'm inclined to think the chip isn't getting enough power during the boot process. Here are some things to try.

Disconnect everything inessential and try to post at an overclocked speed. This means unplug the drives, take out all but one stick of ram, take off the peltier (but leave the heatsink). Then try to post at an overclocked rate. If it posts, then add things back in until it doesn't and think about getting a new PSU.

Try to underclock the chip. This will test whether your mobo is working and your L1s are connected. Try running it at 10x100. If you can underclock it by changing the multiplier, then your L1s are connected and your board is reading the Bios correctly. Also try something like 8x133 to make sure that the fsb will change.

If the L7s aren't all connected, try connecting them to increase the default voltage. You're having a problem before getting into the BIOS, so raising the voltage in the BIOS isn't going to help.

That's all I can think of for now. Keep us posted.

nihili

Thanks for some very worhty suggestions guys, but I'm still stumped. I tried nihili's excellent idea of underclocking the chip down to 10x100 and still no dice. Whirring fans and a blank monitor were all I got so I cleared CMOS once again (I think I should just replace that jumper with a DPDT switch lest I wear the stupid thing out).

The lack of power issue is pretty much nonexistent. I've got a huge PS in there, but I DID try disconnecting the BS ATAPI stuff I have and 2 sticks of RAM (pelt has it's own PSU external to the case). No luck there, as suspected.

So I'm back running with the config in my sig and still stumped. Time to go eat....I'll get back to this soon.

[OC] Jason said:
well if it is a 100/200 chip then it will default at 14x100 correct, ok that is all good, but you want it to 10.5x133 i assume, well while penciling in the bridges will let u change the multiplier IF you do it right, and it is pretty easy, it still will not let u raise the FSB it is 1 100bus chip, not a 133, and that is what the board is set to run-a 100/200 bus speed, to get it to boot at 10.5x133, you need to see if there is a jumper on the board to set it to 100 or 133 bus speed, on my epox 8kha if u set it to 100 it will boot at 13x100, if i set it to the 133 jumper it boots at 10x133, and then the multiplier & FSb is both adjustable, right now even IF you succed in connecting the bridges to up the multiplier, i doubt it wil even boot at 15x100, yes 1500 mhz is in no way out of spec, but that Multiplier is too high id say, its much easier to get there by goint 10x150. So id put the multiplier on the backburner for noe9if you succed good if dont no bigge)but set BIOS of Board to the 133 settings instead of the 100 setting in which is souns like it is set. Then itll boot default at 10.5x133 and u can raise the FSB till the mem gives out. With that mem, at a 1.85vcore and 2.7-2.9for mem volts you shold be aboe to get 10.5x150 or higher, try that and ill try to help more if i can

Both the multiplier and the FSB being changed cause the no POST problem. It's got softmenuIII so it's a jumperless mobo....everything's in the CMOS setup. The multiplier goes up to x13 then the only higher option is "Above x13". Maybe I need to flash the latest BIOS in there to fix this. What I need to do is to figure out why changing either the multiplier or the FSB speed (or both) keeps it from POSTing. Thanks for your help.

Well the boot power question is actually independent of your PSU. My duron wasn't getting enough power to POST above 950 until I bridged the L7s, despite the fact that my PSU had plenty of power.

But that's academic now. If you can't underclock either, it's not a power issue. 10x100 takes less power than 14x100.

Ok, start by looking at the chip. Are any of the L1 or L7 bridges cut? Don't pencil over them if theyre not cut, that will only risk a cross connect. If you've already pencilled uncut bridges, then erase the connections.

The next thing is to isolate the problem in either the chip or the mobo. The best alternative here is if you can find another chip or mobo and test a different combination. Do you have access to another chip or mobo to do this?

I'll keep thinking and wait to hear what you've got.

nihili

*edit* The bios flash is a good idea, let me know if it works.

donny_paycheck said:

Both the multiplier and the FSB being changed cause the no POST problem. It's got softmenuIII so it's a jumperless mobo....everything's in the CMOS setup. The multiplier goes up to x13 then the only higher option is "Above x13". Maybe I need to flash the latest BIOS in there to fix this. What I need to do is to figure out why changing either the multiplier or the FSB speed (or both) keeps it from POSTing. Thanks for your help.
What are your settings in SOFT MENU 3? Did you try the 4J BIOS yet?

Took of this lame peltier! If u already not killed your proc/mobo, you will sure do! Peltier are *ntel only stuff! :p

Trow it out the window and be happy!

MiracleMan said:
Took of this lame peltier! If u already not killed your proc/mobo, you will sure do! Peltier are *ntel only stuff! :p

Trow it out the window and be happy!

Not really true there...you certainly can't cool one with a hsf, especially one that would be large enough to do any good on an AMD. You just need to use watercooling or something along those lines. :)

I would get rid of the TEC until you get watercooling for it...it can NOT be helping you.

lennytiger said:
Does your chip post at all now???

Oh yeah, it POSTs at it's default speed....just not when the FSB or multiplier is changed.

Removed the peltier seeing as it's not needed anyhow, now running with just the HS/F in place.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to flash my BIOS. The flash program needs to be run in DOS and since I'm new with winxp I haven't figured out how to or if I can get into native DOS mode. This'll happen soon if I can do it...

My temps with the TEC on were good but not awesome, 65F at full load. I've been looking at ways of implementing water cooling in my case but have concluded that I'll either need a bigger one or will need to make the radiator and reservoir/pump assemblys external to do it. That's on the back burner now....figuring out this damn problem is first at hand.

sonny said:
What are your settings in SOFT MENU 3? Did you try the 4J BIOS yet?

Haven't tried the new BIOS yet....see above. Settings are default as BIOS detects, as follows:

1400(100)

FSB of 100 (200)
* of "above x13"

donny_paycheck said:

Haven't tried the new BIOS yet....see above. Settings are default as BIOS detects, as follows:

1400(100)

FSB of 100 (200)
* of "above x13"
The link I posted in my first reply has just about everything to cover the basics & more to help you flash your BIOS. You may need to find a 98 machine to make yourself a boot disk but there is a site that can help you with that. I don't remember at the moment but "Paul" will show you the way:D. This is a BIOS issue.

Back