• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To dual core or not to dual core...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
...that is the question.

I'm currently working on doing a few upgrades to my system. I'm purchasing a DFI Ultra board from somewhere here on the forums along with a 6800 GT card (so obviously I don't have a problem going used). My currently MB and CPU (see sig) I plan to give to my wife for her system (her stuff I will, in turn, give to my parents since they're still poking along on a PIII/750 I built for them a few years ago).

That leaves me a processor sort. I want to upgrade to something that should give me better performance than the 2.36 GHz I'm getting now (yes, sig needs a bit of updating), it seems barely faster than my old 2.4 GHz Barton.

I know a single core will (generally) give me a higher clockspeed all other things being equal as well as being cheaper. On the other hand dual core would give me somewhat better performance for a given clock speed, especially under heaver CPU loads.

Money is something of a consideration as I'm already spending $250 on the board and video card and I'm also planning on getting a big-screen and extra money spent on the CPU is that much more

Computer is pretty mixed usage, some gaming, a lot of just general not doing much of anything use (surfing the net type stuff), dvd/divx encoding, some HTPC duties (though not, at this time, video capture since I use an HD DVR from my cable company).

So I guess, based on the what I've given you, what would you do? Get another single-core CPU or plunk down the extra dough for a dual-core (I would prefer a dual-core, all things being equal) or even just wait on the new CPU until a bit better comes along and/or prices drop a little more (I'm not worried about waiting for the new AMD parts, except possibly insofar as it might involve a price drop on existing parts though 4-5 months is rather long to wait for that anyways).

i would nominate a dual core opteron and overclock it.........

it will be some extra money now but it will make ur PC last longer before u need 2 upgrade again (in theory).

Prices are not going to change enough on dual core to wait 6mths if you are looking to get one now.

I love dual core, i will never again by a single core processor, that said, you may not need it. Most games cant use dual core, and all it will do is make your multi tasking web/office stuff feel just a bit more responsive.

Okay, so assuming that I go with the dual cores, is there a specific recommendation? I'm not going to really be able to pay more than about $300 for the CPU so that would seem to limit me to the X2 3800+ and the Opteron 165 or finding a good deal on a used one.

Back