• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well will my PSU run a new 7800GS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Current PSU Antec trupower 380W. Thinks its time I upgraded? See folks like this one. OCZ 520watt SLI Powerstream. Kinda had good luck with the Antec so far, but I am wondering if I could get more of an OC with a new one.

I will use it in my next build so I don't mind overduing it a bit. :shrug:

Is that ocz this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104155

Also I am looking for one that really moves a lot of air any recomendations on that?

Last edited:
check out the extreme psu calculator HERE and plug your entire system in trying both video cards. this will even give you a rough idea if the psu is enough for what you have now. according to the site [which doesn't have the gs yet] the 6600gt uses 75 watts, and the fastest stock clocked 7800gt uses 97 watts- a difference of 22 watts. i don't know the wattage of the 7800gs, but i figured a gt was probably a safe guess as it could well be more than a gs. if you're maxing out your psu now, the extra wattage could easily be too much for the antec to handle.
i don't know how accurate the calculator is, but i've seen it linked in other threads and quite a few people say that it is fairly accurate with their systems.

Ok shows I am right at 380W with what I have. Deadon!
Need 400W with the new card. Now to choose a new one. :shrug:

The card I have coming is O/Ced from the factory so 97W to 100W should be about right.

i would suggest going a bit overkill if you want to have the new psu for future upgradability, or even just to last its full lifetime. you may only be using 400 watts with everything you have, but if never hurts to have a bit more than you need. i'd say at *least* 450 watts of normal output, and definitely more if it's feasible. 400 watts from a 450 watt supply is still about 88-89% usage [400/450*100].
the powerstream 520 you mentioned in your first post is a favorite around here, and comes highly recommended by many. the link is actually to an ocz modstream supply. chances are it is a high quality one, but most will recommend the powerstream over it.

Back