Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Your opinions on life, love, and people.

Thread Closed

Old 02-08-06, 08:02 PM Thread Starter   #1
Son1990

Your opinions on life, love, and people.

I have always held on to my beliefs, and ideals and well those are (basically):
  • Love is a form of hope. Its fake and is ment to give meaning to life.
  • People are corrupt, society trys to change that.
  • Life has no meaning.

Id just like this thread to be a discussion about the above few things. I cant walk around my school and believe that having a girlfriend and dating someone is realistic when love is a thought created by the feeble human mind to have a reason to exist

Objections

Last edited by LutaWicasa; 02-08-06 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 08:18 PM   #2
RoadWarrior

10 Year Badge

Life has no meaning, it's a good thing to realise, since then you don't waste years looking for the meaning, when you could have spent years creating it. That's the big secret, you put the meaning into life. It's an aspect of having free will, you can make the choices, the plans, the conscious decisions to put meaning into life, or you can waste your life and make it meaningless.

So the real feelings of emptiness aren't going to go away with a casual, or more serious relationship. The meaning won't be given to you by someone else. They might however, see the meaning that you are putting into life, and resonate with it, and then you will inspire each other in turn into greater efforts at defining the meaning and making it large and loud. Soulmates. The meaning amplified by more than just the product of 2. So love, true love, would amplify the meaning that already exists.... but there has to be some in the first place... you need to reach inside, find it bring it out, nurture it, watch it grow. As it gets bigger and shinier, it will attract what you seek.

Dunno if that will make sense in the morning

Road Warrior

Black Belt Ubercloxx0r

"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous Folders have fallen or may fall into the grip of OCAU and all the odious apparatus of [H]ardOCP rule, we shall not flag or fail."

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fold on the Newcastles, we shall fold on the Northwoods and Prescotts, we shall fold with growing confidence and growing strength on Venice, we shall defend our Forum, whatever the cost may be, we shall fold on the Winchesters, we shall fold on the Bartons, we shall fold on the Applebreds and Thunderbirds, we shall fold on the Coppermines; we shall never surrender!"
Old 02-08-06, 08:19 PM   #3
johan851
Insatiably Malcontent

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Love is a form of hope. Its fake and is ment to give meaning to life.
If it gives meaning to life and provides hope, is it really fake? The affects are certainly real, so the emotion must be real as well. Plenty of people here who love or have loved someone, myself included, will tell you that although it might not last forever, it's definitely real at the time. That's my take.
Quote:
People are corrupt, society trys to change that.
At least some people are corrupt. Not everyone is. Perhaps societies are formed to protect those involved from corrupt individuals?
Quote:
Life has no meaning.
Hmm. Can't talk about "religious" things here now, can I?

Sorry, but you are correct...so I had to edit your last out.

LutaWicasa

Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled

Last edited by LutaWicasa; 02-08-06 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 08:21 PM Thread Starter   #4
Son1990

I agree. Why is it that all the kids my age are so set on having relashionships and in some cases already naming the children they will have. This has gone from a game of doll house to "build a family" but in real life. Every kid I talk to is so wound up about getting good grades, taking advanced classes and getting into college they forget to have fun and its soooo messed up too hear and see "Oh yay, I got all A's now I can get into law school" blah blah blah. Im not objecting going into college for I want to attend one but why is it that kids are so stubborn and wont relax and take a look at thier life and get a real perspective?

Old 02-08-06, 08:23 PM   #5
johan851
Insatiably Malcontent

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Why is it that all the kids my age are so set on having relashionships and in some cases already naming the children they will have.
People your age can be kinda dumb. I had trouble relaxing, too, and am still having trouble, but it'll wear off. There comes a point where you realize that grades are just grades, jobs are just jobs, and there's more to life than playing "lets do better than each other" society games. Some come to that point earlier, some might never come to it.

Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled
Old 02-08-06, 08:24 PM Thread Starter   #6
Son1990

Quote:
If it gives meaning to life and provides hope, is it really fake? The affects are certainly real, so the emotion must be real as well. Plenty of people here who love or have loved someone, myself included, will tell you that although it might not last forever, it's definitely real at the time. That's my take.
It only seems real because soo many people have been taught to think it, and see it on TV and in movies when it never really is the case. I dont know the exact statistics but many americans divorce after only a few years of marrage. How can that feeling be real if it dies?

Quote:
Hmm. Can't talk about "religious" things here now, can I?
No, No religion in this thread or it will be closed.

Old 02-08-06, 08:25 PM   #7
Feydd

Quote:
And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality,
when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restless or
ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you
is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every
individual in these millions and millions about only one thing:
whether you have lived in despair or not.

-- Soren Kierkegaard,
"The Sickness Unto Death"
Isn't life meaning enough? How can their be existance without meaning? Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't their.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son1990
How can that feeling be real if it dies?
You will die eventually, does that mean you arn't real? Does that mean everyone and everything that came before us never existed?

WD 40&80Gig 7200RPM HD
Saphire Radeon X800XT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech Z-640's
Antec 410 watt PSU

-Natural selection, it's only natural.
Old 02-08-06, 08:28 PM Thread Starter   #8
Son1990

Quote:
Isn't life meaning enough? How can their be existance without meaning? Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't their.
It isnt. If life was meaning enough, we would all be walking around, hanging out, and not stressing ourselves out. Whats life without purpose?

Quote:

You will die eventually, does that mean you arn't real? Does that mean everyone and everything that came before us never existed?
There is a diffrence between a feeling/thought and a living breathing person who can think and evolve on its own.

Old 02-08-06, 08:30 PM   #9
rseven

What I am hearing is depression. I strongly urge you to seek professional help. No one should live a loveless life of desperation.
Old 02-08-06, 08:33 PM Thread Starter   #10
Son1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseven
What I am hearing is depression. I strongly urge you to seek professional help. No one should live a loveless life of desperation.
I saw this coming. Depression is not the case. If you insist that depression is involved in this, then you dont need to have a say. A healthy debate never hurt anyone. Im as happy as a dove....unless dove's are depressed....then im not one.

Old 02-08-06, 08:39 PM   #11
Feydd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son1990
Whats life without purpose?
You fail to understand, lifes only purpose is life itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseven
See the thread I made. I thought like you when I was your age because I was alone and trying to justify the way I was living my life. I even tried to convince myself I was happy living like that. After many years I realized to live a happy life you will need to find things good and decent to fill it with.

WD 40&80Gig 7200RPM HD
Saphire Radeon X800XT
Logitech Z-640's
Antec 410 watt PSU

Old 02-08-06, 08:41 PM Thread Starter   #12
Son1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feydd
I thought like you when I was your age because I was alone and trying to justify the way I was living my life. I even tried to convince myself I was happy living like that. After many years I realized to live a happy life you will need to find things good and decent to fill it with.

So basically your sayin that because I live the way that I do, or diffrently then others, that I try to justify a means for that?

Old 02-08-06, 08:45 PM   #13
Feydd

Yes.

The reason the other kids in your school are trying to start relationships, get good grades and take advanced classes is because they want to live a happy life.

Quote:
The happy life is thought to be one of excellence; now
an excellent life requires exertion, and does not consist
in amusement. If Eudaimonia, or happiness, is activity in
accordance with excellence, it is reasonable that it should
be in accordance with the highest excellence; and this will
be that of the best thing in us.

-- Aristotle,
"Nichomachean Ethics"
Remember i'm just trying to add more perspective to the way you feel about the world.

WD 40&80Gig 7200RPM HD
Saphire Radeon X800XT
Logitech Z-640's
Antec 410 watt PSU

Old 02-08-06, 08:48 PM   #14
William
Prodigal Son Moderator

10 Year Badge

Discount other oppinions and say they have no say, but you want a debate. When you are willing to listen to others thoughts, I will perhaps reopen this thread so that we can have a debate.

House: This is the only way! Sometimes solutions are NP complete and there's nothing anyone can do about it! Foreman, sneak into the physics department and reroute their servers to ours, we need the extra processors if we don't want this equation to go quadratic on us. Chase, patch the memory leak and install Matlab 9.3.
Chase: Shouldn't we be using Mathematica for potentially asymptotic functions?
House: When I want your opinion, I'll do an affine transformation to get it. I'm off to see Cuddy. Those parabolic eigenvalues of hers must be good for something.

Thread Closed

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.