• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 900 overclocking ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zykio

Hi .. i have a celeron 900 and i want to know if i can overclock it to something higher without the need to add a cooler or without the change of my original cpu fan ..? and if i can .. pls tell me the different choice i have ..

Joel:cool:

We'll need to know your motherboard.. And that chip is basically a cD0 stepping so I think it'll be a overclocking chip but your going to have to specify your motherboard to us.

the kind of the mainboard

hi again ... i forgot to tell that i have with my celeron 900 a motherboard Amptron M754LMRT+ with everything onboard and 192 meg ram 160 meg after the 32 meg to video agp onboard .. and the fan is the orignal fan from intel on my celeron ..

When you do anything more than just very minor overclocking, you will need better cooling. Why don't you want to get a better CPU cooler? Your system will be more stable and cooler running electronic components last longer, not to mention you'll be able to overclock it higher.

Hi zykio, welcome to the Forum,
It seems to go up very easly, today I've got my new Cellie 2 900 cD0 and is rock stable at 1014Mhz (112Mhz Fsb) and at 1116 (124Mhz Fsb), I'll try during the day at 1.20Ghz (133Mhz Fsb), the best way to go for the Pci/Agp Bus freqs and for the brutal performance, not so bad a 1.20Ghz from a so cheaper Cpu.
About the cooling section, well, like just sayed, it's foundamental to use a very good HeatSink and a thin layer of thermal paste on the Cpu Core to keep the temps under 45 degree C @full load, but less is better, so your system will be faster & rock stable!
At the moment I'm using an Alpha Pep66, but I'm planning to go, as soon as possible, with a Millenium Glaciator or a ThermalRight SK6 both made of copper.

I hope it helps you :)

The Doors said:
Hi zykio, welcome to the Forum,
It seems to go up very easly, today I've got my new Cellie 2 900 cD0 and is rock stable at 1014Mhz (112Mhz Fsb) and at 1116 (124Mhz Fsb), I'll try during the day at 1.20Ghz (133Mhz Fsb), the best way to go for the Pci/Agp Bus freqs and for the brutal performance, not so bad a 1.20Ghz from a so cheaper Cpu.
About the cooling section, well, like just sayed, it's foundamental to use a very good HeatSink and a thin layer of thermal paste on the Cpu Core to keep the temps under 45 degree C @full load, but less is better, so your system will be faster & rock stable!
At the moment I'm using an Alpha Pep66, but I'm planning to go, as soon as possible, with a Millenium Glaciator or a ThermalRight SK6 both made of copper.

I hope it helps you :)

*Pokes the Doors* SK-6 !

With the right mobo and cooling it should do just fine. If you do have the right mobo which allows adjustments to the FSB and volts, Got to love ASUS :) and your cooling is up to suff start in small steps each time rebooting and see if Windows loads for you and runs without any problems.

Thanks

i want to thanks those who answered my question .. though i see that i really must buy a cooler and even a cooler paste .. also i think i will wait a little bit to make sure i have all the cash it takes to buy this stuff ... as a last question .. id like to know if there is really a difference with the speed .. i mean a reel one between 900 and 1000 or 1200 mhz ..? someone really see the difference ? if so , at which scale ?

The 1.2 ghz and the 900&1000 is a big difference.

The 1.2 Ghz is a Tualatin and the others are just plain Celly cD0(I think) steppings.

If you were to overclock the 1.2 you'd have way better performance reaching higher bus speeds more ram powa and such.

explanation

Hi again ... thanks again .. but yodum .. i must say that i wanted to know that if i oc my celeron .18 micron 900 to 1000 or 1200 mhz .. is there a lot of increase in performance in real time ? i mean a performance about the speed at which scale .. like 25 % or more ?? and on my Amptron mobo .. i have in the bios the choice of 9X or 10X or 12X multiplier i think .. for 9X 100 mhz example .. and on the mobo .. i have a jumper to set the freq. at 66, 100, 105, 133 mhz ..

And someone has tried to oc this cpu just a little bit like 900 to 1000 without changing the orignal intel fan ? if yes .. does it run at a good stability ?

I would not say there is a huge difference in an extra 200 MHz, but enough of a performance difference that in my opinion would be worth the price of a good CPU cooler. Those Celeron 900 CPUs are great overclockers if you use proper cooling. You'll easily reach 1.1 gig or more, if you spend a little cash on a good cooler and thermal paste.

Re: explanation

zykio said:
Hi again ... thanks again .. but yodum .. i must say that i wanted to know that if i oc my celeron .18 micron 900 to 1000 or 1200 mhz .. is there a lot of increase in performance in real time ? i mean a performance about the speed at which scale .. like 25 % or more ?? and on my Amptron mobo .. i have in the bios the choice of 9X or 10X or 12X multiplier i think .. for 9X 100 mhz example .. and on the mobo .. i have a jumper to set the freq. at 66, 100, 105, 133 mhz ..

And someone has tried to oc this cpu just a little bit like 900 to 1000 without changing the orignal intel fan ? if yes .. does it run at a good stability ?

Try to do a little bit but not too much whats your current multiplier? change your fsb slowly, and monitor your temps carefully.

Back