• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what fan works best on a radiator? out of these two

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oxid

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12ff.html

or

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12trblhisp.html

they both have roughly thesame CFM and noise, pressure on the normal fan (not the three bladed one) is around 11 mm H²O, or so says the delta website.
I'm going to hook them up to a fan controller anyway, so don't pay too much attention to the specs. I'm talking about the design here. Three of those on a triple radiator, or two on a dual radiator. I didn't quite figure out that one yet.
what do you think?

probably the BIX, but like I said, the pressure will probably get lower since I will lower their speeds

i've heard good things about the Tri-blades and its your only choice out of the two since they are out of stock on the other fan :p

the normal fan will be back in stock in march and I will probably not buy anything till late april

The tri blades are mad, I've got a pair and when I start them on the table they just move them selves. The problem with the tri blades is that even on 7V they got this motor pitch noise so if you want silence it isn't the way to go.

I can handle alot of noise, and I'm going to insulate them pretty good, and any remaining noise I will filter away with a fan controller.
If I wanted silent fans I wouldn't take 150 CFM models... :p

edit: what I'm trying to say is, I can handle alot of noise, but I can't take it into the extreme. I still sleep in thesame room as my computer :)

I used tri-blades in my AMD (92x38 highspeed on an SP-97) rig and on my current Intel (120x38 highspeed on a XP-120) rig until I went over to h20 and they are good. However, they do have some motor noise as has already been pointed out.

oxid said:
I can handle alot of noise, and I'm going to insulate them pretty good, and any remaining noise I will filter away with a fan controller.
If I wanted silent fans I wouldn't take 150 CFM models... :p

edit: what I'm trying to say is, I can handle alot of noise, but I can't take it into the extreme. I still sleep in thesame room as my computer :)

Why dont you sandwhich two lower speed tri blades so you can turn one off and sleep at night?

Or maybe a nice blower that you can spin down real slow to sleep, I have two that would suit you if you want to try something like that I can dig up the thread about them.

Either way I think you will end up with more performance and also a much nicer sleeping enviroment.

BTW, these super fans arent gonna get you nearly as much performance as simply increasing the area, ie, add anouther rad.

what do you mean by sandwiching, you mean a push/pull config? does that even help at all?
and I move my case often trough the house, so I would prefer to keep the entire setup inside my case, so I can't use teh four quadruple 120 mm radiators of doom in a case, you see? ;)
and, one radiator and three high performance fans cost alot less then two radiators and six fans.
and one dual radiator with good fans on it should cool down my cpu and video card well enough. I'm not an "extreme overclocker", I just get what I can and I will be happy with that. I couldn't care less for an extra 100 megahertz.

but the blower fan idea is nice, but I live in belgium, and it would be fuss to send it here ;) but I'll dig into the blower fan idea some more, but for now, i'll just go for the tri fan stuff.

and again, don't worry about noise :p I sleep right next to a busy street and the only way that my fans make more noise then that is if I take eight 70 db fans or something... trust me. I sleep trough everything since I live here :p

oxid said:
what do you mean by sandwiching, you mean a push/pull config? does that even help at all?
and I move my case often trough the house, so I would prefer to keep the entire setup inside my case, so I can't use teh four quadruple 120 mm radiators of doom in a case, you see? ;)
and, one radiator and three high performance fans cost alot less then two radiators and six fans.
and one dual radiator with good fans on it should cool down my cpu and video card well enough. I'm not an "extreme overclocker", I just get what I can and I will be happy with that. I couldn't care less for an extra 100 megahertz.

but the blower fan idea is nice, but I live in belgium, and it would be fuss to send it here ;) but I'll dig into the blower fan idea some more, but for now, i'll just go for the tri fan stuff.

and again, don't worry about noise :p I sleep right next to a busy street and the only way that my fans make more noise then that is if I take eight 70 db fans or something... trust me. I sleep trough everything since I live here :p

yea look into blowers, should be plenty around if you look. They match well to heater cores, heck most are made for that situation. :beer:

Yea push pull should get you as much as increasing air flow by getting noisier fans. Either way your just increasing air flow.

IMHO, go for the three setup, get three ~100cfm fans, I think you wont bother with anything else after you try that and see what your water temps are like. You can bump up to 6 fans if you still arent satisfied as well.

in what way does push/pull improve airflow? if you take identical fans, the same air just gets trough the rad/HD... unless you go contra rotating, but then I need to find fans that rotate the other direction

Last edited:
Push/pull provides twice the static pressure-> more airflow

Yea, just look aroung at electronics places near you for some blowers, find a nice size and undervolt it.

any idea where to hook em up to? they can't be run off the power supply, so I'll need a seperate power source for that blower. and, of course, I have to be able to turn it down by lowering the voltage :)

Back