• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opty 144 ocing results and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hambone0750

Alright witht he setup currently in my sig I'm using Supernade's suggestion about burning in the cpu for a maximum over clock. However, I'm getting a little confused on the temps. I am recieving.

Stock idle/load: 24/26
@2.7 idle/load: 24/28
note the room the computer is in is a comfortable 21c

Now these reading are taken from the board temperature sensor, I know there not accurate but were more for comparative reasons.

Now for the question if you were to graph amount oc'ed versus temperature would it look more linear or exponential. I was expecting more of a temperature increase for the oc.

Well i dont have AMD overclocking experience yet (but soon will if all goes well im setting up my 165opty rig next weak yay!)
But from what ive seen with intel its sort of an exponential but staged heat change.
Like my cpu can get up to 260fsb with stock volts and not gain much of any temps.
At 270 it needs nuff volts to gain about 10-15°
at 275 id need close to extreme cooling to keep it anywhere near acceptable temps
Anyway i can only hope my new opty clocks that high with good temps id be VERY happy :D

Well, I have heard of that board reading on the high side, but yours are way on the low side. While you have a first class cooler the difference between idle and load should be closer to 10 degrees. On my board the difference is 12 degrees. Also, idle and load should be higher with your overclock, even with the same voltage. On my board I get a 4 degree difference in idle temps from stock speed to overclocked. I make no claim the my boards temps are any more accurate, as they no doubt are not, but the relative temps do seem to give a more accurate picture of what you should be seeing.

Thanks for the response, I'm not really complaining :p just kind of curious and being that 2.7 was my goal from the start I'm exceptionally happy with it. Escpecially since I turned my delta way way down to a noise level I can sleep with, as soon as I do a 24 hour stability test I'll move on to the rest of the system.

Oh, yeah and see if it will boot at 3ghz, you know for the fun of it.

Back