• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to AMD, need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augerpro

Well the a8n32 and opty 165 is on the way! I've been looking over asus's site and I can't understand a damn thing. So here are a couple questions for you all:

I bought this psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103517
will this work? this board needs a 24 pin and 8 pin connector I guess?

What EXACTLY do I need to install for drivers? The drivers from asus aren't that new so the disc should have the current ones? I won't use raid ever, so I just planned on installing the SATA ones. Also there are some chipset drivers from october on asus's site, I assume the setup disc should be up to date there. What other drivers should I throw on my floppy?

Am I forgetting anything? I don't plan using nvidia's firewwall or activearmor, so apparently I should disable the nvidia ethernet controller?

Also there are 2 SI SATA driver downloads from asus. One has "disc" in the name, what is that?

And there are 2 marvel drivers. Do I need to install both? I'll also be using the 74g raptor, a liteon dvd, 7800gtx, and 2x1gb Corsair 3500LL pro. Any tips for a smooth install?

This is the second comp I've built (have had my little 2.26 Northy running at 3.26 for over a year :) But all the subtleties and exceptions on the setup for this board has got me a bit intimidated.

Thanks for any advice, this site has been one of the best I've found for info!

Thanks for the links! cpu drivers eh? never thought of that.

The psu is a Sparkle 550 sli. 36amps on one 12v rail, so I know it has the nut, but I'm unsure about this particular boards power connections.

That PSU should have the connectors you will need, and you are correct it will supply all the juice you will need as well. The 8 pin connector is just two 4 pin connectors side by side. DFI does the same thing and it confuses people.

:welcome: I have this board and I love it,stable,overclocks well and easy to use.As rseven said that PSU will do you a good job.You plug in the 4 pin ATX 12V in the upper left on the board,and the 24 pin EATXPWR between the DIMM slots and the sec-IDE.If you run two video cards in SLI,use the easyplug.I used it myself though I am not in SLI,that way I know the board is not underpowered.You still need the Ethernet controler to use the onboard lan ports.Just dont install the Nvidia firewall or activearmor.It causes alot of problems.The 2 SI sata on Asus web site are the drivers for the Silicon Image Serial ATA RAID connector (7 pin SATA-RAID2).As far as the Marvell drivers go,one is for the lan,not sure what the other is.It is labeled as Marvell PHY.Hope this helps.

Back