• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KlinkB

I got a new DFI motherboard today and when I plugged the cpu fan into the designated cpu fan plug on the motherboard I'd get a problem. The cpu fan spins up slow then it'll get to about full speed then it spins down and stops. I plugged it into the plug next to it and got the same problem. Next I plugged it into a plug at the bottom of the board and it worked fine. Anyone know whats going on?

Did you plug in all of the power connectors into the mobo as needed? On my NF4 UT Ultra -D it takes 4 power sources just for the mobo! :cool:

im almost positive..i mean i have it running right now, it works fine on the plug at the bottom of the board just not the top 2 :shrug:

There are options in BIOS on the Ultra-D that mess with the fan speed depending on temperature, however I think they only apply to specific fans and therefore specific fan plugs. My Delta Focussed Flow spins up to max on startup, but on POST it slows right down. Your chip might be cool enough so that according to the default BIOS settings it doesn't need to run.

that might be it ill have to check it out after im done installing windows..the fan does shut off right after it posts..we'll see :eh?:

Yep thats normal, the fan will spin back up when the CPU temp hits a min point. You can turn it off in the bios, but dont freek out, aslong as it spins up then you know its working.

that was it! thats a crazy setting in the bios..never seen that before, just glad its all good :D

KlinkB said:
that was it! thats a crazy setting in the bios..never seen that before, just glad its all good :D

You think thats crazy? I had an ASUS board that had the option to turn off the fan when below a min temp. On cold boots, the bios turned off the cpu fan and then it halted the boot because the fan was not running!! :shrug:

Back