• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chat with in gmail - you have it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jajmon

Does anyone have this new feature in gmail? I do.

"Chats what we're talking about
Get in touch with your friends instantly, from right inside Gmail! It's the biggest thing to happen to Gmail, since well, Gmail. And it'll happen to your Gmail account soon. We're rolling out to all Gmail accounts within the next few weeks. "

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html

It's being rolled out in stages,,,,,,

i have it but don't know anyone on gtalk. i read a little while ago that gtalk was going to combine (or interact) with aim because google bought a huge part of aol?

Gtalk is intergrated into gmail by saving your conversations. you can save them into gmail and then e-mail them. its kinda cool.

just flat out it gtalk has to be compatible with AIM for anyone to use it. When basically almost all IM users use the AIM network in some form. I mean I hate AIM thats why I use trillian and other people use GAIM and other messenging clients, but the fact is the network has the user base so basically you have to use it. There is no reason my friends would switch over when AIM is perfectly fine, the only reason they might consider using another client is if and only if it has support for the AIM network.

TalRW said:
just flat out it gtalk has to be compatible with AIM for anyone to use it. When basically almost all IM users use the AIM network in some form. I mean I hate AIM thats why I use trillian and other people use GAIM and other messenging clients, but the fact is the network has the user base so basically you have to use it. There is no reason my friends would switch over when AIM is perfectly fine, the only reason they might consider using another client is if and only if it has support for the AIM network.
Exactly what I would have posted. Google talk is pretty cool, but AIM has the numbers.

It's just too bad GMail dosen't provide IMAP access... If they did I'd try pushing its use more. As it stands now though, AIM and AIM Mail will be my primary means of e-communication.

BTW: I do have the chat feature as well, though I don't know for how long since I never check my GMail -- I have it all forwarded to my AIM Mail account.
JigPu

mils128 said:
Gtalk is intergrated into gmail by saving your conversations. you can save them into gmail and then e-mail them. its kinda cool.

Doesn't anyone else find it odd that Google just loves saving every piece of information on you possible. I'm sure they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Google is the new evil empire.

Ebola said:
Doesn't anyone else find it odd that Google just loves saving every piece of information on you possible. I'm sure they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

You can turn this feature OFF, if only people would READ. You have the option to turn OFF saving your gtalk/chat conversations.

Ebola said:

Whats wrong? Doing something illegal you dont want logged in some massive database somewhere?

That drives me nuts, who cares if companys are keeping records on you? It helps to tailor the services provided to you, the customer. Do you get freaked out cause Pizza Hut has your name, and the last thing you ordered in thier system when you call them? :rolleyes:

Back