• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded my Linksys Wireless Router today...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theorie

added a fan and also a copper heatsink to the box's cpu

DSC_0003b.jpg

DSC_0005b.jpg

haha free mods rock

liftedcj7on44s said:

it's raining outside. i was bored.

re-organized my office and ended up with a box full of extra fans. i also noticed my router gets a little warm sometimes, so i thought it might help.

the fan is a little noisy at 12v, i think i'm going to put a resistor on it.

I was thinking of doing something like this with my Linksys gigabit switch. The stock fan on that thing is noisier than anything else near my desk/computers. What fan did you use?

Hey, you should make your antennas directional and boost the gain of their sending/recieving too! Put parabolic dishes on them! I did it on my USB dongle, but it would be much better for a wireless router. Could be done for less than 5 dollars, and it will increase the range and security of your network.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=441784

it's actually one of those thin 70mm fans off a stock AMD heatsink

it's a 12v fan, so i just fan's power & ground to the power plug connections on the board. the unit runs off a 12v DC power source, so i didn't even need any resistors or anything.

two connections, a few screws, a left over fan grill, some cutting and it was done. :)

port forwarding is easier than pie on a d link router.... or at least to me it is.... i have an Ftp server, cs server, http server, ... the list goes on and it was fairly easy to setup.....

WOW that is probably the craziest thing i have seen done to a router.... but why... un less u can overclock it to make it a gigabit router with that fan its useless.

i have yet to sucessfully port forward a router. even after following instructions. though i havnts tried it on lots of them or anything. i do remember it seeming simple as i followed the instrutions without a hitch, clicked the finish button or whatever and killed my connection. then spent the next hour or 2 fixing it

Time4aMassiveOC said:
now all you need to do is a mod to make port forwarding easy.... i swear... if they came out with a router that made port forwarding easy and advertized it as such... they would make a killing.
it's easy as pie to do port forwarding, at least on my linksys router. it's just under advanced->forwarding. then you input the port range, and the internal ip of the computer it's going to. click apply and your done. :santa:

i never had to do it with my linksys, but on my old router i couldnt get it to work
my aunt is the computer tech for Sandmeyer Steel,..she couldnt help either

The ports you're trying to foward are probably blocked. Like port 80 for HTTP is commonly blocked, but some ISP's don't block common server ports (TimeWarner and SpeakEasy, for exmaple).

Back