• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

920 or 930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
I am in the process of putting together my new rig, and I am debating on what to get. I had purchased a 930 but ended up canceling to see if I could wait a couple weeks to get a price decrease. Anyway, while waiting I have begun to contemplate getting a 920 instead. How much difference am I really going to see? How much improvement over my 3.4 E am I going to see with the 920 and 930? Thanks.

Nasgul said:
I was never a fan of Socket 478 Prescotts, so my hats off to an LGA system wtih a 920 will be a lot better. Even if both cores run at 2.8ghz but technically the 65nm (any Presler) can be run 24/7 with a 250fsbxDefault-Multi, so a 920 would safely be ran at (250x14) 3.5ghz with stock voltage and stock HSF to start with......

Don't know how high I will try to overclock but I know its going to be running on water. Already have my water cooling setup in my new case. Just don't know if the 930 is going to be any better than the 920. The 930 goes for about $330 and the 920 is about $260, is the price/performance worth the extra $70?

Nasgul said:
Save the $70 or put it towards a nice video card or the PQI Turbo 2GB kit. 920 should be plenty, specially with water, you're talking a 4.0ghz possible

I was thinking about the PQI Turbo, but read some people had problems with them actually showing up as DDR667, and some even had problems running system after manually setting to 667. Any experience with it?

works fine, they're probably using hyperpath3 or something that is holding them back

I don't have a 65nm chip, but I have been running PQI Turbo DDR2 for like 6+ months and I have had ZERO problems with the RAM.

I think it depends on what makes the perf in your price/perf curve. It also seem to depend on whther you get an easy OC'ing 920 or 930.

The 920's seem almost guaranteed to OC to around 4 ghz on air, and surely on water.

Some 930's seem to go really well ... maybe 4.5 on water? Others can't seem to get there? But not a large sample yet.

But it depends on what you need the perf for.

pscout said:
I think it depends on what makes the perf in your price/perf curve. It also seem to depend on whther you get an easy OC'ing 920 or 930.

The 920's seem almost guaranteed to OC to around 4 ghz on air, and surely on water.

Some 930's seem to go really well ... maybe 4.5 on water? Others can't seem to get there? But not a large sample yet.

But it depends on what you need the perf for.
\

this is not true... the early chips were horrible at overclocking(ala, mine) i cant hit 4.2ghz on water to save my life. 4.0 takes nearly 1.5v to get too. i have an RMA number for the chip, but im still not sure if i want to hassle with sending it back. i can be content with 4.0

Nasgul said:
I don't think the PQI Turbo 667 2GB Kit have issues, actually I've only heard one person saying that they were not good but seen pretty much everybody else having good results with them.

If I didn't have this 8000UL Kit, I'd definitely get the PQI Turbo 667 2GB Kit.
if your reffering to me (im the only person i know whos had an issue),
swapping into diff ramslots fixed the issue :p
GREAT ram for the $$$

Back