• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 175

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aao_pwner

Hey guys,

I've had an encounter with some dude in IRC he says that the Opteron 165 and 175 are the same thing, just one's default clock is higher than the other. I want to know if this is true. If it is, could you overclock the Opteron 175 to higher than what you can overclock the 165 to, because apperentally its built to run at that clock frequency.

Also, if you guys were to equate the Opteron 175 (not overclocked) to an AMD Athlon X2 processor, which model/core would it be (not overclocked).

They tell me on irc that its probably comparible to the 4800+ but I jsut want to make sure.

I'm also looking for a picture of the Toledo and the Denmark Cores.

Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584
175 opteron

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546
x2 4400

same chip

I would get the 4400 for obvious reasons

the guy your talking to is FOS

the 165 is 1.8 and the 170 is 2.0 and they have same cache as the x2 4400

any dual core under the x4400 ASIDE from the opterons has 2x512 instead

oc'ing is a crap shoot, i seen all sorts of things, from guys with 165's stuck at 2.4 with 1.5v and 2.7 at 1.4v for the lucky ones. Its a gamble, my x2 3800 does 2.6 some do more some do less.

Rattle said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584
175 opteron

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546
x2 4400

same chip

I would get the 4400 for obvious reasons

the guy your talking to is FOS

the 165 is 1.8 and the 170 is 2.0 and they have same cache as the x2 4400

any dual core under the x4400 ASIDE from the opterons has 2x512 instead

oc'ing is a crap shoot, i seen all sorts of things, from guys with 165's stuck at 2.4 with 1.5v and 2.7 at 1.4v for the lucky ones. Its a gamble, my x2 3800 does 2.6 some do more some do less.

Their the same, does the L1 cache matter the Opteron 175 has 64KB+64KB L1 and 2MB L2

aao_pwner said:
Their the same, does the L1 cache matter the Opteron 175 has 64KB+64KB L1 and 2MB L2
Just a typo. Both cores are exactly the same.
That's it.

Also, you COULD say that Opteron165 and Opteron175 are the same. Architecturally they are. Except the chips are binned, so natually the Opteron175 should overclock higher.

Binning = process of testing each individual chip, to determine if it will be labelled Opteron 180, 175, 170, or 165.

IWasHungry said:
Just a typo. Both cores are exactly the same.
That's it.

Also, you COULD say that Opteron165 and Opteron175 are the same. Architecturally they are. Except the chips are binned, so natually the Opteron175 should overclock higher.

Binning = process of testing each individual chip, to determine if it will be labelled Opteron 180, 175, 170, or 165.

Ahh o I see.

And by the way im in Vancovuer, WA so you know, im just like 300mi south of you.

By the looks of it the Opteron 180 looks exactly the same specs wise as the X2 4800+

IWasHungry said:
Architecturally they are. Except the chips are binned, so natually the Opteron175 should overclock higher.

Well, that's what I thought too. As it turns out, Opty 165, 170, 175 and 180 are not speed binned to test oc'ability at all. My 175 requires 1.65 to run 2.75GHz stable. I've seen 165's running that speed stable at <1.5V.

Don't fall into that trap like I did.

Frankly, I don't think there's any specific performance criteria for their binning process other than looking at the incoming orders from the e-tailers, selecting a batch of processors, test them to prove they'll run at the proper voltage at the proper speed, and off they go. Since time and time again we've proven that any 'ol 165 will match the speed of a 180 when lightly oc'd, this is a logical explanation for their "binning" method.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to determine the fastest speed your DDR will run, then determine if you need a higher multiplier or not. For my case, had I taken the time to do the math, I would have realized that since my mem will run at or a bit above 250, a 10X multy would have been perfect, and would have been a reason to buy a 170 instead of a 175. The reason is that I get higher memory bandwidth when running both my DDR and my CPU as fast as possible. Now, there is some debate and some testing that suggests that memory bandwidth has little impact (within reason of course) on 3D gaming performance, but I haven't dug into it myself. Nevertheless, higher bandwidth can't possibly hurt your performance, so I see no reason to choose a high multy that forces you to run your DDR at less than it's rated speed. That's why I see little use for a 180 at all, especially at it's price.

Last edited:
Binning is not based off how far it will overclock lol. My guess is it's based on the ability to operate at stock frequency at really low volts, under really stressful conditions.

MoreGooder said:
Well, that's what I thought too. As it turns out, Opty 165, 170, 175 and 180 are not speed binned to test oc'ability at all. My 175 requires 1.65 to run 2.75GHz stable. I've seen 165's running that speed stable at <1.5V.

Don't fall into that trap like I did.

Frankly, I don't think there's any specific performance criteria for their binning process other than looking at the incoming orders from the e-tailers, selecting a batch of processors, test them to prove they'll run at the proper voltage at the proper speed, and off they go. Since time and time again we've proven that any 'ol 165 will match the speed of a 180 when lightly oc'd, this is a logical explanation for their "binning" method.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to determine the fastest speed your DDR will run, then determine if you need a higher multiplier or not. For my case, had I taken the time to do the math, I would have realized that since my mem will run at or a bit above 250, a 10X multy would have been perfect, and would have been a reason to buy a 170 instead of a 175. The reason is that I get higher memory bandwidth when running both my DDR and my CPU as fast as possible. Now, there is some debate and some testing that suggests that memory bandwidth has little impact (within reason of course) on 3D gaming performance, but I haven't dug into it myself. Nevertheless, higher bandwidth can't possibly hurt your performance, so I see no reason to choose a high multy that forces you to run your DDR at less than it's rated speed. That's why I see little use for a 180 at all, especially at it's price.

Hey man, im getting near what you are. I was wondering, will the Zalman CNPS7700-CU fit with that heatpipe over the transistors? What about the Northbridge heatsink on the A8N32-SLI?

Also if possible can you measure the length from the socket both are how tall they are.

Thanks.

So, does anyone here have a picture of the toldeo core and the Denmark core, im a visual learner (or what i tell my self so i think i can learn period) lol.

aao_pwner said:
So, does anyone here have a picture of the toldeo core and the Denmark core, im a visual learner (or what i tell my self so i think i can learn period) lol.
Uh...you mean a picture of the CPU itself? Because they all look exactly the same (Except for the print on the heatspreader).
Toledo and Denmark are the same BTW. One refers to Athlon X2s, the other for Opterons.

IWasHungry said:
Uh...you mean a picture of the CPU itself? Because they all look exactly the same (Except for the print on the heatspreader).
Toledo and Denmark are the same BTW. One refers to Athlon X2s, the other for Opterons.

No, no the core, like the picture of the Core... not the processor. I know what that looks like. Like this but for the Denmark and todelo core

opteron_dualcore_make_up.jpg

>.> Thanks for the notion, but i orderd like a whole comptuer (all the parts) from newegg including the 175 with rush ordering and FedEx overnight delivery :)

The chips are all the same and the 165's OC just as good as the rest. Most people don't have any trouble hitting 2.4ghz stable on default voltage. You may get lucky with your 175 but you'd have just as much of a chance of getting a good 165. Just check around at a few forums like here and XS and you'll see that these chips all tend to top out at between 2.6 and 2.9 on air and water.

If you've got the cash to go for the 175 then more power to you but you'll be lucky to get 2.9 or beyond on air or water.

mysterfix said:
The chips are all the same and the 165's OC just as good as the rest. Most people don't have any trouble hitting 2.4ghz stable on default voltage. You may get lucky with your 175 but you'd have just as much of a chance of getting a good 165. Just check around at a few forums like here and XS and you'll see that these chips all tend to top out at between 2.6 and 2.9 on air and water.

If you've got the cash to go for the 175 then more power to you but you'll be lucky to get 2.9 or beyond on air or water.

I'm running getting the Zalman 7700-CU. Is that any good, I hear it is hotter when you have that on than the stock hsf. Thanks.

Back