Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Ooooog...can this do this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 02-12-06, 11:52 AM Thread Starter   #1
Dreamstalker

Ooooog...can this do this?

Can unpasteurized juice (darn Whole Foods; pasteurizing does not affect nutritional value) at room-temp for a little over an hour make someone this sick? Without going into any details, I only got about 30 minutes of sleep last night and my stomach still doesn't know what it should be doing. I bought the juice at about 5 PM, it was in the car until about 6, I drank some at 9 and the badness started around 3 AM.

I'm OK (I think) now, just tired as hell and in no shape to work on a paper. I'm going to email my instructor and explain the situation; maybe I can get an extension and/or an excused absence from class tomorrow. The evening program decrees that nobody can miss even one class meeting for any reason, but it's not like I intended to get sick.

Navi 2.0 under construction
Dreamstalker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-12-06, 12:47 PM   #2
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Well, I happen to be licensed to prepare food for the immunologically compromised (ie. AIDS or severe malnutrition cases). The short answer is that it is possible. However, assuming that you are reasonably healthy otherwise, the odds are against it. Depending on exactly what infection you have it could have been something that you ate two days ago that did the deed (if it is even food poisoning -- which may not be). You could also have some type of viral infection that did not come from any food.

You really ought to see a doctor if you are concerned.

That being said, you did let the juice sit for four hours. Now I have let stuff sit on my counter overnight with no personal problems but I really should tell you this:

If I had that juice sitting in the commercial kitchen where I sometimes work, I would have to throw it out. Four hours sitting between the temps of 40f and 140f is the cut off point for that stuff. Also, I would not bring unpasturized juice into that kitchen in the first place as it has a much greater potential of being grody in the first place.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-12-06, 01:59 PM   #3
threeme2189

if it wont kill you it will only make you stronger jk dude.
it might be the juice so go see the doc if it gets worse and good luck with that paper and your stomach!

Crappy 80 Gig HDD :: Sony CD Burner/dvd drive + CD drive

If You'll Excuse Me, I Have A Beam Of Light To Catch.
threeme2189 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-12-06, 06:05 PM   #4
ckj

IIRC, food poisoning doesn't take affect until 12-48 hours after the culprit has been ingested. Since there was a time span of 6 hours, I would say nay to that being the culprit.
ckj is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-13-06, 10:49 PM Thread Starter   #5
Dreamstalker

I'm feeling OK now; it may have been something earlier than the juice (that was just the first thing I thought of for some odd reason--maybe due to the fact that it is not pasteurized and I normally don't drink non-pasteurized stuff). Someone in the learning center does leave the half-and-half out all day...

*still doesn't understand why Whole Foods carries pasteurized products, yet does not pasteurize their house brand*

I'm well and truly dead if my Networks instructor doesn't want to give me an extension for my project (yikes)...

Navi 2.0 under construction
Dreamstalker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-06, 12:19 AM   #6
DeepScience
Super Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckj
IIRC, food poisoning doesn't take affect until 12-48 hours after the culprit has been ingested. Since there was a time span of 6 hours, I would say nay to that being the culprit.
Nope, not at all. This from the US gov:

"The symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning generally start within 2 to 6 hours of eating the food responsible. That time may be longer (even a number of days) or shorter, depending on the toxin or organism responsible for the food poisoning. "

The extra time in the warmth does not create the bacteria but it does allow it to reproduce faster from existing bacteria, ie. the drink was probably a bad one from the start.

On the other hand, what Malpine said was all good.

But do remember that this is for discussion not medical advice

Win8 - Adobe - Vegas Pro
560Ti
<><
DeepScience is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-14-06, 12:40 AM   #7
ckj

Well, guess my biology teacher from highschool was wrong then (and me too).

So I read a bit on food poisoning, and actually, it depends on the type of bacteria. I don't know what the most common type of food poisioning is though, but based on your time between ingestion and illness, I would say that the most common type would be staphylococci found from http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic807.htm this site. The site mentions that it is generally caused from meats, dairy and bakery goods. But since we know nothing about the various ways it could be contaminated, I'd say that it's possible.

However, I sincerely doubt that leaving it out for an hour is enough to get ill, it would have to have been bacterially infested to a significant degree before hand for you to become ill from it.

I know nothing about this site other than a quick google, but of course if it's on the internet it must be fact.

Hope your Network instructor will give you a break.
ckj is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-15-06, 09:33 AM   #8
Malpine Walis
Disabled

And this just in:

It seems that there has been some recent discovery of product tampering specifically with juice and that several people reported similar symptoms as you. It was in my local paper yesterday. However, apart from that, the only information actually contained in the article is that it was discovered at a local CVS (my local paper is not worthy to line the cat box with).

Police are not saying what the brand or flavor of juice was or what they found in it "for fear of jeopardizing the investigation".

Now I have no idea what they are really trying to hide but if there is any possibility that you got juice from the same factory or whatever, you may want to see a doctor, if for no better reason than to make sure that you have documentation in case there is anything to any of this.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-15-06, 12:46 PM   #9
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

10 Year Badge

CVS finds bottles of juice that may have been tampered with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpine Walis
And this just in:

It seems that there has been some recent discovery of product tampering specifically with juice and that several people reported similar symptoms as you. It was in my local paper yesterday. However, apart from that, the only information actually contained in the article is that it was discovered at a local CVS (my local paper is not worthy to line the cat box with).

Police are not saying what the brand or flavor of juice was or what they found in it "for fear of jeopardizing the investigation".

Now I have no idea what they are really trying to hide but if there is any possibility that you got juice from the same factory or whatever, you may want to see a doctor, if for no better reason than to make sure that you have documentation in case there is anything to any of this.
CVS finds bottles of juice that may have been tampered with

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...e_x.htm?csp=34

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4490557&nav=1VGm

I was once on a dairy farm and I drank some milk right from the main tank after it was pasteurized, I should have waited for them to Homogenize it as well because I was sick for a couple days, Pepto Bismo was my best friend.

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-15-06, 01:19 PM   #10
shard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversinksam
I was once on a dairy farm and I drank some milk right from the main tank after it was pasteurized, I should have waited for them to Homogenize it as well because I was sick for a couple days, Pepto Bismo was my best friend.
Actualy the biggest reason you got sick is from your immune system, and digestive system not used to that amount of organic material. I have grown up in a farming community, and strait from the cow doesnt bother me one bit, but my friends down south, can barely even stand the smell, non the less the taste.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-06, 03:17 AM   #11
Celeron_Phreak

Yeah, orange juice from the frozen can that you mix with water will really bother my stomache, and eventually lead to me feeling like I've been punched there fourty times over if I have to much of it.

However freshsqueezed juice, like straight from the orange itself, doesn't bother me one bit. It's one reason I don't drink any canned juices.

nVidia Reference GTX 280 - IBM P260 Trinitron 21" & DCLCD 19" LCD
2x 1GB Mushkin & 2x 512MB Centon SP3200 (3-3-3-8)
Seagate 200GB SATA -- WD 120GB SATA -- Seagate 300GB SATA -- Seagate 500GB IDE
939 AMD Opteron 180 @ 2872 MHz -- ASUS A8N-SLI
HDA X-Plosion DTS -- Logitech Z-680 rev. 2 :)

Heatware
Celeron_Phreak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-06, 03:37 AM   #12
Spade
Disabled

oh, this is pointless but YES pastuerizing DOES affect vitamin/nutritional content.
my 2¢
Spade is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.