• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a high-end ~300 nvidia AGP card that's quiet TODAY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrianS

I need a high-end AGP CARD that's quiet SOON. I have a noisy hercules ati 9800 pro that i damaged by putting a thermalright v-1 ultra heatsink on (i dont know how). Anything that is better than a 9800 pro 128mb should do OK. Mainly I play CS1, bf2, warcraft3 and soon to be civ 4. I am mainly looking for quiet but it needs to be as good as an ati 9800 128mb pro that are currently ~228. I am looking at the 7800 gs and if any of them are quiet that would be SPECTACULAR. i NEED agp 4x/8x and DVI. Thanks for any input

I think all the 7800GS will be about the same in terms of being quiet. If the stock cooler is still to loud you could always get a quieter after market cooler.

The 7800 GS is the tops right now for AGP--in reading up on them it's the only AGP card with the 3.0 Shader Model thingie.

Another thing that I learned ist that heat was a big issue with the 6800 series. The 7800 series isn't a ton faster than the 6800's, but it does have image quality refinements and it runs cooler. Also, they're right on your budget. There's one advertised in the CompUSA circular for $300, or you can get one online for about the same money. The BFG is at Best Buy for $350 or you can get it for about $305-$310 at newegg or ZZF.

does the arctic cooling or zalman fit them if it is too loud? Thanks

is fan speed adjustable with riva tuner for the 7800 gs? Thank you

I don't know about the 7800GS but the stock HSF that came on my 6800GS was a screamer. I would just plan on buying a Zalman or Silencer cooler along with it. If you're that concerned about noise, the stock one will probably be too loud no matter what.

cursor said:
The 7800 GS is the tops right now for AGP--in reading up on them it's the only AGP card with the 3.0 Shader Model thingie.

Another thing that I learned ist that heat was a big issue with the 6800 series. The 7800 series isn't a ton faster than the 6800's, but it does have image quality refinements and it runs cooler. Also, they're right on your budget. There's one advertised in the CompUSA circular for $300, or you can get one online for about the same money. The BFG is at Best Buy for $350 or you can get it for about $305-$310 at newegg or ZZF.

Well then you are reading lies lol, all 6 series cards have SM3.0, but only the 6800's have HDR, so that includes the 6200's/6600's/6800's, dunno who told you that ONLY the 7800gs supports sm3.0 :|, the 7800GS does have CineFX 4.0 tho, which is not to be confused with shadermodel 4.0 or anything, that's not out yet... cinefx 4.0 is the new transparent anti-aliasing, and subsurface scattering. You can read about it straight from the horses mouth at www.nvidia.com

Well their website says that it's compatible with 7800 series PCI-E cards. It doesn't mention AGP. I'd guess that the layout is probably rather different with that AGP bridge chip, but I don't know for sure.

I did fill in the support question form on their site. When I get a response, I'll post it here.

cursor said:

Not true, the 6800 series supports SM3, perhaps not the best implementation but it works correctly 100%

Back